1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

modding a trb 1005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by airrick, Mar 21, 2006.

1. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    a few of you know i am getting a yamaha trb 1005, and i was wondering what worthwhile modification there are out there to do, (bridges, pickups, strings, etc...), i play jazz and metal:)eyebrow: ), as well as classical if this helps, if you could, please also post the website too! thanks in advance

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Does the trd 1005 have piezo pickup?

3. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    no, it has alninco hum-cancled x 2

4. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I'm about to purchase a TRB1006 in 1-5 days and I already have an Aguilar OBP-3, Seymour Duncan ASB6's, graphtech self-lubricating nut, hipshot D-tuner, and an ABM bridge with lock-down saddles ready to put in it. I really don't need to do all that, but I've already got an RBX6JM and I'm looking for a little difference in tone other than the obvious. I replaced the stock bridge on the RBX with the ABM and I fell in love with it. I also replaced the stock preamp with a Seymour Duncan 3-band EQ. The reason I replaced the preamp we because the stock preamp was a big honking beast of a circuit board and I had a pot that was going bad on the bass. The pots are directly soldered onto the preamp so to replace the pot, I'd have to get a brand new preamp, so I decided to upgrade. I figured I'd try an Aguilar this time because I've heard a lot about them. The hipshot and graphtech nut are just because I've been wanting to explore a little with "below the B." And for the record, I got the Duncan pups so I could put them in the RBX, but I decided to go ahead to put them in the TRB.

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I see ABM bridges come with or without piezo pup's.

I have an early 1990's TRB 5 with piezo pup's. Piezo's are excellent for using different types of strings. eg bronze acoustic bass guitar strings or nylon strings

6. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    so what would be considered the basic mods one might do first to improve the sound?

7. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    by the way thanks for the great reply!

8. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Probably replace the yamaha pups Duncan ASB6's

9. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    pups=pickups right? can you post the website, and why do you reccomend these pickups?

10. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
  11. Here's a radical notion: why don't you try out the bass for a while before you start doing surgery on it?

In your price range, the TRB1005's electronics are pretty damned good. I know I'd be pretty happy with one.

12. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Actually man, I would honestly say that that you should replace the preamp first. I personally like the Yammie pups, and wanted to throw in the Seymour Duncan's for a different flavor, but I'm keeping my Yammie's in the RBX. The real difference came when I replaced the preamp. It quieted the bass down a bit and gave it a little bite. The preamp I'm throwing in my TRB can be found http://www.aguilaramp.com/. You'd want the OBP-3TK/PP. That denotes three knob eq with a push/pull pot for the mid/mid frequency. That way you wouldn't have to drill a hole for the mid frequency toggle switch. Also, the other preamp I have and the pickups can be found at http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/bassesdescr.shtml#stc2. The STC-3 has bass mid and treble and a nifty push/pull volume/slap cut (mid cut and bass boost). That's actually really cool and I throw in the slap cut alot for different situations. The pickups are the "ASB-5 & ASB-6 active phase I" I think (second one down from top). It could be the "ASB2-5 & ASB2-6 active phase II" , but I'll double check and let you know tomorrow. The only problems with these replacement pickups is that the pickup size is only as big as the raised part of your pickup. That means effectively, all of the area where your pickup screws are are a hole. You may be able to block it off with something, but I plan on leaving mine a little gappy. You may also take this into consideration when deciding to do the preamp or pups. I'll get back to you tomorrow on which version they are man.

13. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    This is not bad advice at all man. I'm only "doing surgery" on my bass because I've had a comparable one for 7 years and kept it stock for 6 of those years. I had a lot of basses I brought on recording projects and the like and most of the engineers really like the sound of that bass over all of them, including a Stingray! And those were stock electronics.

14. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    yeah, i guess you right (petermcferrin), i probably need to leave the electronics alone and wait untill i am a little more educated on that subject. But on a related note, would it be worthwile to replace the strings?

15. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Yes 100%!

16. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    with what if it is seemingly neccsary?

17. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Depends on your preference. I used to use Pedulla's but lately I've been going with DR Long Neck's. I'm a huge taperwound fan. DR's are the easiest to obtain and they last quite awhile. Strings are really more of a trial and error, personal preference sort of thing. Kinda like basses LOL

18. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    what kind of strings would be good for an all around workhorse (though mostly jazz)

19. Replacing strings is a much more cost-effective way of sonic experimentation than is mucking around with electronics.

Have you ever tried Fodera strings, airrick? They're a bit on the pricey side (JustStrings sells the five-string sets for around $35 with postage), but I find them to have a clear, articulate sound. Their B strings are particularly excellent. I would suggest the 45-130 set for now, although on a 35" scale bass the tension might be a bit too high for slap-and-tap type stuff so you might want to go 40-125.

20. airrick

airrick

Dec 4, 2005
    ok, i think i will go with foderas (i can scrape up 35$,) what is a website where i can buy these strings?