Modding a Warwick Alien into a Thundercat Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheLeafHill, Apr 5, 2017.

1. So my questions are. Would it be possible to add something like aquilar dcb pickups, preamp and all that to the Alien 6 without ruining the whole Instrument? Would the feedback be too much? Will the pickups fit without having to drill a pickup shaped hole on the top, ideally just drilling holes for the screws? I'm not really familiar with the technical side of electricity acoustic so I'm interested in the idea. Throw on your two cents.

2. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Even though I have no idea what you're talking about I'm going to say this anyway

Thunder...
    Thunder...
    Thundercats... NOOOO. :D

That's not my actual opinion (I don't have one). I just wanted to say that.

3. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    IMO.. Yes, doing that would destroy the bass.

If you cut into the top of an acoustic instrument, you will most likely destroy the acoustic/ resonance properties of the top.

As it is a full body acoustic, you will likely have tons of feed back issues and want to fill the body with stuff to cut down on feed back, making it useless playing acoustic.

And depending where the bracing is, you might either cut through important structural elements, or place the pickup in a odd/ bad/ not desirable spot. And once you cut into it. That IS forever.

If you are unhappy with the sound, you might look at swapping the Piezo and preamp. It would likely be far less than routing and wiring . and it would be something that should be fairly easy to put back to stock if you need to/ want to.

4. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    You'd be better off selling the Alien and buying the Ibanez... Is it a production model? If so, it's probably the only hollowbody 6-string bass on the market, and it must be kinda pricey...

5. Don't worry I actually don't have the Warwick yet and not going to cut into one. I was just curious about the idea as the Thundercat bass is a one off custom from Ibanez and its not going on production anytime soon maybe never.

6. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    Oooh... I guess you'll have to go custom then. Gather your pennies! :)

7. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    depending on budget..
    I would look at the Viellette Minotaur.. That thing is pretty AMAZING.

Or maybe a Turner Ren Bass. I have one and love it. Mine does not have a mag PU in it, but I have seen one or two with one installed.