Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modding bass question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stinkoman20xx, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Lately Ive been getting into franken basses and the idea of making insane over kill mods to some cheap basses just for fun and because I can.Here is what Im wanting to do. take a pbass body add humbucker in the bridge leave the p-bass pickup add a jazz to neck thats the main idea and if im feeling frisky to rickenbacker pickups between the front and back of the p-bass. I never even installed or taken out pickups on a bass so im wondering what tools am I going to need to do the cutting into the wood and how to route and connect all the pickups together to make them work.

2. A plunge router with an endmill bit & assorted templates for the body mod....

possibly a 12" long 1/4" "aircraft" bit for drilling any necessary wiring channels

rosin core solder and a soldering pen

a pickup selector switch or rotary selectable setting pot for pickup selection

possibly more volume pots if you forego the selector switch or possibly blend control pots

and a little bit of know-how.