1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modding bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frag, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    Ok, here it is, I play a Kramer 5 string, I upgraded the bridge to a Schaller with wide string spacing, then put on Seymour Duncan Active P buckers, but I can't make up my mind as to which Heads to use, I though about Gotoh or Hipshot, it has a reverse headstock, what do you guys think?

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Gotohs and Hipshots are both equally good. Choose the one that looks best to you.

I'm kinda curious - is there something wrong with the tuners you have now? I have never had slipping tuners, even on crummy far east clone basses.

Disclaimers: IMHO, YMMV, etc.

3. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    No, the tuners hold tuning for gig after gig, I just thought that with upgraded heads it might hold sustain longer.

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    No, if the tuners hold tight there won't be any difference in sustain with new ones. The only (extremely slight) difference in sound may be due to increased (or decreased) mass of new tuners vs the ones you have now.

Some people will tell you they can hear the difference between different brands of tuners. If that's true they may be carrying some dog DNA around in their genes. You and I can't tell the difference between the sound of one tuner and another as long as they hold the string firmly without slipping.

Usual disclaimers: IMHO, YMMV, etc.

5. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    I appreciate the advice my man, also saved me some cash :D Thanks dude.