1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modding EMG HZ pickups - Dean 5 String

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SGS, Apr 27, 2010.

1. SGS

SGS

Mar 21, 2010
    I have a Dean 5 string with passive EMG HZ pickups. According to the wiring diagram PDF I found online they are the 40hz pickups (they measure 4" in total width).

I recently bought a Squier Jazz 4 string and the tone possibilities I'm getting from it are far beyond what I can get out of the Dean and I expected that. The Jazz showed me what I'm missing in clarity on my lower notes. The lows are much more clean and clear and I'd like to get a cleaner, clearer low end out of the Dean, especially on the B string as it sounds lifeless and dead. I've varied which pickup I'm using as well as where I'm plucking the strings, and I can't get a clean but warm sound.

Without upgrading to a Fender Jazz V (which will happen eventually) I'm wondering what to do. I've thought about installing an active pre-amp but there might be space limitations. Then I started tossing around the idea of pulling the pickups out and turning them 180 degrees (worked for Dimebag Darrel to mellow out his high notes but that's guitar, not bass).

Then I thought about having a coil splitter switch installed (or a coil tap, or a phase switch, or something). I wouldn't do it myself, I'd find an experience luthier to do the work. This seems like it might be the easiest/cheapest solution.

This is the first bass I bought and I got a decent price at $160 used. I have no problem putting some money into it but I'm not going overboard. What suggestions do you guys and gals have for mods to these pickups?

2. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Banned

Nov 9, 2009
    Richmond, Va
    Id just upgrade the pickups. In my experience, DIY Modding on cheap instruments NEVER works out, at least for me. Always end up being more touble than it's worth for a regrettable result.