1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modding instead of trading my Blacktop Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    The bass plays great. No complaints there. The tone is more mid heavy that I was planning on. My band likes it (because it says "Fender" on it.) It doesn't sound like a Precision. It doesn't sound like any bass I can recall.

I was wondering about swapping the pickups. Maybe SD Quarter Pound pickups? Maybe installing a J-retro preamp?

2. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    There are many different split-coil pick-ups offering a broad range of tone curves.

Nordstrand makes some interesting ones.

3. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    Oh, I forgot that they also make a double Jazz pick-up version.

Is this the one you have?

4. emdsd

emdsd Mongo only pawn in game of music!

Feb 25, 2010
    Boyne City, Michigan
    I was thinking of one of the Audere drop-in preamps for my Blacktop Jazz. Just another option you might consider....

5. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    I have a Blacktop style project on the back burner at this time and I've been toying with ideas as to which way to take it. I've been looking at the Delano pickups at http://www.bestbassgear.com/delano-4-string-pickups.htm and thinking that the PC 4 AL in the neck position and the PMVC 4 FE/M2 in the bridge position might make for some very interesting possibilities, or even two of the latter. Haven't thought about wiring options, but I'm thinking I'll stay passive.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

6. Sometimes that can be a good thing....

7. I want one now! I'm thinking the Blacktop Precision.

I would opt to mod it and explore it's different and available tone options. It took me a while to dial in mod my Precision/Musicman for a sound I liked. But I found it, after weeks of exploring and different wiring ideas.

8. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    +1 for Delano JMVC or PMVC