1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modding Jazz Bass with Parallel/Series Switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by masterjj16, Apr 11, 2015.

1. masterjj16

masterjj16

Aug 23, 2011
    LA, CA
    I understand how to wire a DPDT switch for a Parallel/Series mod, however I'm having some trouble finding a switch that will fit in the Fender Jazz Bass' control plate. I don't really want to drill out the hole, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of any particular DPDT switches that are in an on/off/on configuration that would fit a MiM Jazz bass. Any help would be appreciated!

-John

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  3. masterjj16

masterjj16

Aug 23, 2011
    LA, CA
    I just measured it, looks like 10mm!

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
  5. masterjj16

masterjj16

Aug 23, 2011
    LA, CA
    I apologize, I just remeasured the hole and it turns out to be more around 3/8"

6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I used a Fender S-1 switch/ volume pot it is much easier to wire than a mini dpdt switch and no holes to drill

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You could use a push-pull pot.

line6man likes this.
  8. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    more than enough room for one of those minis, might even have to fill the hole a bit. or yeah, using a push pull works great if you don't already have an extra hole.

9. Are you trying to do series/parallel, or something else? If you are trying to use the middle position as a killswitch, then the switch will not function in a practical way. Switching between series and parallel will cause a moment of silence as the switch passes from position 1 to position 3, or vice versa. This is not good for changing settings on the fly. In any case, I would suggest going with two push/pull pots. One for series/parallel, and one as a killswitch.

10. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    I was thinking of doing the parallel / series mod with a push pull pot, like this one: Push-Pull Pot There seem to be a number of options on ebay that are similar. I guess the questions are matching the resistance value, audio taper, hole diameter and shaft diameter. My bass has Asian electronics I believe, so smaller shaft diameter and maybe hole diameter.

11. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    You can use a push/pull or perhaps a push push(toggles ) I have used both with equal success.

Frenchy-Lefty likes this.
  12. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008
  13. michaelandrew

michaelandrew The bass player is always right.

I've done it both ways - on-off-on DPDT mini-switch and push-pull:

PC070107_zps19b8b68d.

For the mini-switch (top), I drilled an extra hole between the blend and volume controls and used small diameter 500K Bourns pots. That plate also has stacked treble/bass cut controls; it's a tight fit in the route. Line6man is right (as usual) about the middle "kill" position; it cuts the signal momentarily when switching between series and parallel. It can also cut the signal when hit accidentally while adjusting the other controls.:mad:

The rectangular thing on the middle plate is the push-pull DPDT on the back of a Bourns 500K tone control. In this case, there's no hole to drill, no "kill" position, and no bass cut control. There's also room for a larger diameter volume pot. This is my preferred set-up (for now).

The bottom plate is stock - a Squier VM J - nothing wrong with it except that I like blend/vol/tone, rather than vol/vol/tone, I wanted black, and I don't like soldering to the pot casings.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    highway likes this.
  14. highway

highway

Aug 20, 2008

are those control plates tough to drill? i would like to drill a black one out for 2 on/on mini switches. i plan to have a V/V/T setup and series/parallel switches for each dimarzio pu.

15. No. Use a twist bit on a drill press.

highway likes this.
  16. michaelandrew

michaelandrew The bass player is always right.

A drill press is best - you can do it with a hand drill if you centre punch the hole first. Either way, some light machine oil on the tip of the drill bit will help.

Let us know how the Dimarzios sound. I haven't tried series/parallel switching on the individual pups (yet).