Modding MIM jazzV help needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Mar 20, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well im here sitting in front of my pc somwhow depressed cos i bought a behringer BA115, an Alto macro 830 poweramp and a SVPpro (which isnt here yet, must wait until may :bawl: ), today i went playing some versions with my friends and realized how much i want a new bass, wich i cant buy at the moment, so i thought why dont i upgrade my basses, 1 is getting new tunning (CGCF) and the jazz needs new pickups and pots, but i cant find any pickup that matches the size of my actual Pkups MIM jazz V standarts, so i was wondering if anyone can tell me some replacement (TALKING ABOUT SIZE SO PLZ DONT POST TELLING I LIKE FRALINS OR I DIG BARTS TONE) that fits the hole without any woodwork, and wich pots are good for passive basses.

2. konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yea MIM jazz are a pain with the 2 neck pickups. they sell neck pickups seperately
    the bassline pickups can be bought seperately, in your case 2 neck pickups

check the specs to be sure. If memory serves me right they should 92 mm for the neck.
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well mines are 100 Neck and 102 bridge mm.
  4. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Most 5 strings jazz pickups have the same size of 4 stringers. Bartolini used to build a drop in replacement. I have a 2001 catalog with them described:

5 String American Standard J-Bass
    neck: 101 mm
    bridge: 105 mm

Rio Grande Pickups also make a large sized pickup, but there is no info about size on their site:
    "This is a wide spaced pickup, not 5 strings crammed into a 4-string package."

It's probable that you can swap them to a pair of Fender Jazz V noiseless pickups. I've played a Jazz with those pickups and they are nice.
  5. honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I recently replaced mine with some Fender Noiseless Pickups (the ones that say NOISELESS on them) They fit pretty well. I did need to use a file a bit on the neck pickup along the edge of the plastic pickguard since it was so tight it wouldn't adjust. This took just a few seconds and it looks fine.