Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modding MIM jazzV help needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Mar 20, 2005.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well im here sitting in front of my pc somwhow depressed cos i bought a behringer BA115, an Alto macro 830 poweramp and a SVPpro (which isnt here yet, must wait until may :bawl: ), today i went playing some versions with my friends and realized how much i want a new bass, wich i cant buy at the moment, so i thought why dont i upgrade my basses, 1 is getting new tunning (CGCF) and the jazz needs new pickups and pots, but i cant find any pickup that matches the size of my actual Pkups MIM jazz V standarts, so i was wondering if anyone can tell me some replacement (TALKING ABOUT SIZE SO PLZ DONT POST TELLING I LIKE FRALINS OR I DIG BARTS TONE) that fits the hole without any woodwork, and wich pots are good for passive basses.

Alex

2. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yea MIM jazz are a pain with the 2 neck pickups. they sell neck pickups seperately

Bestbassgear.com
    the bassline pickups can be bought seperately, in your case 2 neck pickups

check the specs to be sure. If memory serves me right they should 92 mm for the neck.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well mines are 100 Neck and 102 bridge mm.

4. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Most 5 strings jazz pickups have the same size of 4 stringers. Bartolini used to build a drop in replacement. I have a 2001 catalog with them described:

5 String American Standard J-Bass
    57J
    neck: 101 mm
    bridge: 105 mm

Rio Grande Pickups also make a large sized pickup, but there is no info about size on their site:
    "This is a wide spaced pickup, not 5 strings crammed into a 4-string package."

It's probable that you can swap them to a pair of Fender Jazz V noiseless pickups. I've played a Jazz with those pickups and they are nice.

5. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    I recently replaced mine with some Fender Noiseless Pickups (the ones that say NOISELESS on them) They fit pretty well. I did need to use a file a bit on the neck pickup along the edge of the plastic pickguard since it was so tight it wouldn't adjust. This took just a few seconds and it looks fine.