Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modding my squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Jan 2, 2006.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    I am growing tired of my sotck squier p bass so im gooing to modify it without trying to spend too much. Here are some questions

I want to paint it a vintage white just me and my dad. Ive read articles about repainting and i understand it. BUt should i do it or just get someone else to do it?

Also, would a fender p bass pickguard fit on a standard squier p bass?

How much would new pots cost?

Any more mods that i can do other than pickups?

SHould i go through with this or just wait a couple of years and buy a fender?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It would take you a few years to buy a fender?

My suggestion: buy an Essex
    www.rondomusic.net

It wil cost less tahn your squier did, or about the same, and it is better.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I did it to my Squier. It was totally worth it. On the newer run of quier instruments, I would replace the tuners, the pickups, and the electronics.

I ended up putting EMG pickups it it (with thier wiring setup, they require a battery), and replacing the nut. My squier is a bit older, and it has the nicer tuners like a mexican fender has.

As far as painting, I would recommend taking it to a local body shop. They can do good finishes, and for a small and simple job as painting a bass body white, theyshouldn't charge very much at all.

The first thing I would do is a pickup change, though. It will show the greatest change in the bass.

Also, figjam is definitely right. Many users here have SX basses, and they love them. Even with everything stock, they are usually on par with mexican fenders, as I have heard.

4. first, get some new pickups, then maybe upgrade the bridge to a badass II, i dontk now if you need to upgrade the tuners cause i have a squier and they work fine and barely go outta tune, but some people find the need to with their squiers. then get it painted and i'm pretty sure the pickguards of fenders would fit on squiers, i havnt tried this before but i have no doubt it'll work.

OR you could just save yourself all the money of the new pickups and bridge and buy an SX, only $120 at the most and they're as good as MIM fenders, and cheaper than squiers so you'll have a better bass to work with and left over money for modding it

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only thing I'd mod on it is the pickups myself. Not that they're bad or that new pickups will radically change the sound, but they could be better. Maybe stick a nice 62 reissue in there.

As for anything else, I would just leave it. But if you really want to refinish it (quite frankly, even though Squiers are terrific little basses I don't think it's worth it to refinish), it's not all that hard a job provided you have a nice dust-free area to spray, an airbrush/compressor that works without clogging, and you love to sand and buff, because you'll be doing tons of sanding and buffing.