1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modding old jazz body, ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peaveyuser, Jan 24, 2008.

1. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    Well i havce this old jazz bass copy body just lying around. I think it looks cool and kinda relic'd, it's also just a decent body and i don't like seeing it to waste. I think it;s made off plywood, well at least the wings.

Anyways I already have three basses filling up my house (Ibanez BTB, Peavey milestone and pacman bass) I already think this is enough. So if i mod it it will probably be with a friends and he will keep it, maybe i'll sell it buty i'd have to at least make back the money i spent on mods.

Now here's my question, have any ideas? Go crazy I'm thinking different pickup combos then two j's (not something terribly expensive though). Also what bridge you think would be good. I'm not sure about the neck, maple, rosewood fretless?

My little idea was a les paul style GUITAR pickup at the neck, and a good j bass pickup at the bridge. Or another idea would be a rickenbacker single coil at the neck and a MM style pickup at the bridge.

here are some pics

jbass1.jpg
    jbass3.jpg
    jbass2.jpg

2. Ignore the fat kid. Add a Stingray pickup or maybe two!

GW0408coverA.jpg

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Add a Trem!

4. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    Make it into a baritone guitar. you can get some pretty decent supplies at guitarfetish for whatever you decide to do though.

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Is it just me or is the pickup route on that bass way off? The alignment of the strings doesn't even seem to get to close to the pole pieces?

Peace

-Benny

6. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    For sure that would be so awesome, but would it be worth it? I mean trems are so pricey. I could for sure not do a hipshot but maybe a schaller, and those are $$

7. flakeh

flakeh Inactive

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    give it to me.

Ill pay shipping and trade you for a EHX small stone.

8. post to subscribe.

Peavyuser, I'll be sure to run errands tomorrow and figure out where my stuff is and how much it'll take to ship you a neck.

9. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Stick a Mighty Mite neck on it (Fender decals on Ebay), add some DiMarzios and a decent bridge - who knows? You might have something. But --- I wouldn't spend a cent on a plywood body. It's usually easy to see the laminates in the neck pocket. If you can see the layers, it's ply for sure. If smooth and no visible layers, it's usually going to be solid. I couldn't tell from your picture.

10. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    It's ply buddy.

11. just like teh pacman bass.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021