1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Modding" pup's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kenbuntu, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Hey is it possible to "Mod" existing pick ups by mod i mean chance wiring, adding a battery, nothing physical to the pickup unless thats not too bad.

Might sound stupid, but i want my fretless 5 the be hot! (by hot i mean a somewhat dirty up the signal so its not completly clean, but not distorted. Overdriven without the pedal.)

thanks in advance.

2. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    TTT

3. your typos make your posts hard to read :(

if the pickup is passive, the only way to "add a battery" is to add a preamp to the bass.

You can have very hot pickups, and they will not distort because the input stage of a bass amp can take a very hot signal before breaking up, unlike a guitar amp. One way to achieve a way hotter signal and maybe get a slight grainier sound is to rewind the pickups with more windings than the original.

You should really do a search about passive vs active pickups, and hot output pickups.

I personally use Dimarzion model Js or also called DP123, they are loud and agressive :bassist:
    hope this helps

4. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    no typos here, but thats besides the point.

I have a brice HXB405. Its activ/passive and has a 2 band preamp.
    I've also been looking up making your own pickups. As far as i've read, all i need are good magnets and super thin copper wire. Would that be a decent option for obtaining a better sound?

5. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    There's a lot more to making a good pickup than just winding some wire around a magnet. If you don't really know what you are doing, the odds of you improving the sound of your bass by mucking about with rewinding the pickups or making them from scratch are pretty low. I'd leave that to the experts and buy some hotter pickups if that's what you want.

That's my free advice and worth every penny. ;^)

6. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    heh i suppose making a pickup wont help my situation but it would be a cool experiment.

7. You won't be thinking it's cool when you've got massive hand cramps from manually winding thousands of turns of fine copper wire!

8. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    heh there are winding jigs ya know!

9. it would be pretty cool, but I would not expect instant good results
    if you wanted to go all out in pickup winding:
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Electronics/Schatten_Pickup_Winder.html

you could also probably set the pickup on a drill and let it rotate this way

How is the sound of that Brice passive? Pretty good? if yes, then you may get a better sound with a better preamp. They must be cutting the cost somewhere, and they usually do it with something that is hidden ;)

10. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    haha well its a fretless so the sound i want will probably not come by changing the pickups...right?
    the passives sound good i guess, never tried any pro pro basses so...haha

BTW do speakers have copper wire winded(sp?) close to the magnet? 'cause i have about 3 speakers i could spare. I've opened up old headphones and sure enough they're there. Just wondering because copper wire costs around $30 bucks :O which i cant do ATM.

would adding another 9v spruce the sound up or just act as a backup to the primary one? I mean that could be useful too.

11. speakers do have voice coils, I don't know what gauge though

adding another 9v in parallel would probably extend your battery life, in series, it would increase headroom if your preamp has been designed to run on 18v or more

12. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    ok as long as the wire is as thing as possible it should work right?

i highly doubt my preamp would run at 18v but i can try i have an extra 9v holder lying around.

13. Really? Wow... what will they think of next? A motorised horse & cart!?! :meh: :p

Speaker wire is far too thick, too difficult to salvage cleanly, you won't get enough of it out of a few speakers and joining (soldering etc) enamelled wire is asking for trouble.

Basically, you'd achieve better results in less time by thinking up other ways to mod your bass.

14. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    yeah i figured out that the hard way, have i haven't even gotten the wire out there. but besides that any ideas for taking it out? and i heard the thicker the wire to more winds you need to make. its okay if it becomes overly thick, these would be going into a soapbar.

And BTW i've destroyed an old speaker, it wont be missed. I've basically have nothing. to loose

15. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The stuff you need will be between .002"-.0025" thick. You'll be wasting your time trying to use something else.

16. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    alright thanks. this is prooving to be harder than i thought it would be. damn those hard-to-open voice coils!

now couldnt i just split up a patch cord and wire/solder each individual 'strand' together?

17. no, you cannot , you will have a massive heat coil. The winding wire is enameled so it is insulated, regular strands are not, maybe somebody has a few old pickups they could donate that guy?

18. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    anyone? :D

well gtg sleep now but looks like itll be a snow day tomorrow !

19. Geez, the man is keen! We don't mean to burst your bubble, but it's just gonna be nothing but trouble trying to do this on the cheap with salvaged materials. If you want to wind pickups, then you need the right equipment and materials, there's just no practical way around that as far as I can see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.