1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modding Squier P-Bass Special V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Arctopus, Sep 9, 2008.

1. First and foremost, I apologise for the length of this thread.

I have about $300 (AU) to burn and as that isn't enough for a new bass, not that I need one. I was thinking of modding out my Squier P as it is completely stock and I feel I could a lot more out of it in terms of tone. I was thinking new pups but as I am quite new to the whole bass modding kinda thing I came here for some advice.

Feel free to share your ideas on how I can get the best out of my bass and how I would actually go about installing the changes.

Here's a little personal playing info from me:
    - Into a lot of prog / tech metal and avant-garde stuff, but certainly not limited to it.
    - I like a little bit of growl in the tone but then again, I'm a big fan of the really warm, resonant sound like that of a fretless.
    - Prominently a finger player.
    - Currently playing through a Fender 210/250 Rumble Combo.

Squier by Fender Standard P Bass Special 5 5-String Bass Features:

* 5-string
    * Solid agathis body
    * Standard 5-Saddle bridge
    * Single-Coil Precision Jazz mid pickup
    * Single-Coil Jazz Bass bridge pickup
    * 20 medium jumbo frets
    * 2 volume, 1 tone control
    * Polyurethane finish
    * Rosewood fingerboard, 12" radius
    * Chrome hardware
    * Multi-ply pickguard
    * Standard, 4-over, 1-under open-gear tuners
    * Bolt-on neck joint
    * Maple neck, C-shape
    * 34" scale length
    * Width at nut: 2.008"
    * Knurled chrome dome control knobs
    * Dot inlays

And lastly, a picture.
    [​IMG]

2. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

3. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

well if you want to mod that one i would suggest Nordstrand pickups or an audere preamp, check on those two...
    if the pups are the same that on my squier they are not bad so you should go and get a audere preamp

4. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Good timing Arctopus!

I've been considering buying one of these and will follow the thread with interest.

Any issues with the headstock being heavy on this? I seriously dislike basses with neckdiving characteristics and one poster mentioned it as a problem.

5. I know they're not the flavour of the month but maybe you could try a nice set of Bartolini's in there.

6. Yeah, the headstock is a bit weighty but be sure to play one before making a decision!

Thanks for taking interest : >

7. I'll look into it!

8. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I recently picked up that same bass for $150 used :)eek: $150!!) in the TB FS section. It's quite good as a stock bass, the only thing I did was give it a thorough set-up and switch out the strings.

I'm considering putting a set of Basslines into it, as they appear to be a direct drop in .... not sure if the Barts would fit without some router magic, but if they do I'd rather the Barts than the Basslines.

I'll subscribe to see where this goes, too .... :cool:

BTW, my bass .... unbelievable for $150 :D

[​IMG]

9. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Pointbass,

Excellent info on your homepage. You answered a lot of questions about this bass for me. Loved the clip of "Oh, Lonesome Me." Like the sound of those DR rounds.

I've never played any instruments like your FBB Customs, nor does it seem likely I ever will. Good to know a player used to much higher end stuff finds the PS5 a reasonable bass.

10. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Thanks Oldrookie .... :)

I always find it amusing when I read threads downplaying some of the lower-end-of-the-price-scale basses. Thinking back to my first slab bass, a '63 Fender P that I got in '63 (wish I still had it for sentimental and vintage value reasons :meh:), the newer crop of low priced equipment is soooo much better.

A good bass is a good bass, IMO, regardless of price point. If the electronics are passable and it can be set up and intonation is acceptable there is no reason not to play it. The name on the headstock is meaningless to me ... ;)

I have a need for certain specific things, and my FBB's give me what I'm looking for. The only way to get what I wanted was through a custom build. Other than that, I could be very content playing that Squier ... :cool:

11. I have that same bass but in the sunburst:

Squire5stringstandard.

Before spending money on pickups, try a set of flatwounds. I didn't care for the bass tone with rounds, but decided I'd try a set of D'Addario flats and the tone change was awesome! Very deep the thumpy and really tightened up the low B.

The pickups are just okay but not bad. I've considered changing them to something with higher output like quarterpounders. That would require routing the body a wee bit however and I've not been willing to spend the money just yet.

But try the string change first and see if that gets you enough of a tone improvement to keep you happy for a while. String changes are cheap and can make a lot of difference in your tone.
    :bassist:

12. (coughs)

Convert it into a 6-string like that Squier Deluxe Jazz Project that was found here a while back.

(coughs)

:D

13. Ah, so cheap! I like! Thanks a lot :D

SHOW ME!

14. Sure. This is a good bass, the wide fretboard is very comfortable for changing between 4 and 5 string basses as it keeps the spacing "normal" and I've really enjoyed mine.

15. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I put Barts in mine and had to slightly modify the bridge pickup route. If I did it over again, I would order two neck pups since they were both identical in size. First if you do anything is replace the pots with CTS versions and put a few coats of shielding paint in all the cavities unless you have the time to do the copper shielding. I did the pots and shielding first and noticed an improvement.

16. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

Excellent post :hyper: I have a Peavey Millenium BXP bass-200 bucks, right off the rack. I put on hipshot ultralite tuners, and Fender 7350M roundwounds, otherwise, it's stock. You wouldn't believe playing and listening to this bass, that it's an inexpensive off the rack model. Lightweight too, the best thing about it.

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007