1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modding Strings???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Apr 21, 2009.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

OK, here's a crazy idea that came to me while trying to figure out a way to get my mini (25.5" scale) bass tuned at least ADGC, if not EADG (right now, it's an octave up with geetar strings).

I'm wondering if there's any way to crimp some sort of collar onto the fattest part of the string, about 5-10" from the ball end, in order to cut that remaining bit off, and then be able to use a .130 or heavier gauge B on the mini bass to tuned it to E.

Say this is your string from tuning gear to ball end:

----============O

Makes sense? 'Kay!

Now, you put some sort of collar on it:

----=======||====O

And then you remove the end nearest the ball:

----=======|| ====O

Is this possible? Am I making any sense? This would allow one to use a very heavy string, made for a 34" scale bass, on a much smaller instrument. Is there such a way to do this where the string would be crimped so that it wouldn't unravel?

2. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    :::bump:::

I'm sure this is possible, but I've never done it with Bass strings.

I'm thinking something like a traditional cable ferrule setup like this, although w/ a much smaller loop...

steel-cable-ferrule-360951.

I'd be curious if it works, b/c I'm interested in doing a 30" scale BEAD using big, fat flatwounds, and being able to make custom lengths in various gauges would be very helpful. :)

Good luck!