Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modding the Schroeder- please read!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Jun 23, 2005.

1. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of modding up my 1210 a la` EA's way of the flip-up spring-loaded handle they put on some of their cabs. I talked to Jorg about this and he said it would definitely work out, as it's not recessed, but was just curious as to if anyone else had done something similar. I guess I could just get a Gramma pad or something or one of these speaker props I see in Musician's Friend, but I already have this, and just need some screws, which leads to my next question-

If anyone HAS done something similar to this mod, what size screw have you used? I guess more of how long it is, as I'll need to gauge the width of it when I get back home and see how large the holes are on the handle.

Anyone think this is a good/bad/eh idea? I can hear the cab fine when I'm a good 15-25ft away, but when I'm closer up, I like having it propped some, and the lid to my 6-space SKB kind of gets in the way at times... ;)

Thx-
    RSB

2. Are you talking about putting a spring-loaded handle on the bottom front edge to prop it up about 2 or 3 inches?

If it's not recessed, then it's super easy. Some handles will even come with the mounting screws as part of the package. Since you aren't carrying any weight with the handle, then you really aren't putting all that much stress on the screws. I'd say any decent #10 x 3/4" screw would work out great. That would be long enough to pass through the handle plate and go at least 5/8" into the wood, which is perfectly adequate for what you're doing. Be sure to drill pilot holes through the ply or get some self-tapping screws.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I dont know. I think I would rather use a small wedge of wood then start messing with the schroeder. It may effect the re-sale value, but then again you cant really "upgrade" a schroeder! :bassist:

4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about... Just like EA does on some of their cabs and combos.

Yeah I went back and looked, but I had ordered two of them to possibly mount on my old Mesa 6x10 to help out, since the handles on that beast are so high up, you can't really get any leverage on it, but I never got around to it (thankfully).

I'm completely "hardware illeterate", so can I just go into a Lowe's or Ace Hardware and ask for a self-tapping #10 x 3/4" screw? I don't own a drill, so it'd be hard to do that. But thanks for the input. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

And yeah- I should be keeping this cab for good, which is why I'm attempting/doing this. Even if it ends up in my future home studio with like a Mesa Walkabout on top of it, just for practice or recording, I should keep it for the long-haul. I've never been 100% satisfied with a cab before before this one! Only thing I can do to upgrade will be a larger Schro, either being a flight 21012 or 410... ;) :bassist: :hyper:

5. Just take the handle with you to the Depot. Look at the self-tapping screws, find the 3/4"-1" ones, then find one where the shank diameter (screw part) is just a little smaller than the screw holes on your handle. Then decide what type of screw head (where your screwdriver goes) you want. There the V shape, the Cone shape, and the Button shape. If the holes on your handle are countersunk (have a little depression at the screw hole where the screw head sits), then you probably want V or Cone shape. Phillips head screws are probably what you want. Then just twist away.

...or you could just ask the Home Depot guy which screws, and he'll tell you.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Awesome.

First thing to do on Monday morning!

7. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    UPDATE:

So yeah, I went out to Lowe's this morning (don't have a Depot and I don't support Tony Stewart! :spit: ) and got just a $1.06 bag of 10 x 3/4" wood screws, brought them home, turned the cab over, and they all went right in! I probably put the handle about 6-8" back, just to make sure and keep some stability for the cab while it's resting up. It's not a huge effect, but it wasn't meant to be. Just something to help out even a little bit. At least now I'll be able to feel it on my lower back than on my legs! :p

This should work for anyone who might be interested in the same idea. Pretty easy to do!