1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

modding the tonehammer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cheshirepig, Mar 16, 2009.

1. cheshirepig

cheshirepig

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Hey all,
    so i have a tone hammer, and like most people, my main gripe with it is that the huge volume bump of the AGS means that i cant be playing, using its preamp, and kick it into overdrive without also messing with volume stuff. Does anyone here mod pedals and know how (assuming its possible.. i know nothing about modding. dont worry though: my friend is an expert at soldering) to remove that volume boost part of the AGS?

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Put a volume pot on the output signal.

3. bassman03

bassman03

May 19, 2008
    Sully, Iowa
    Would putting it in a loop w/ a volume pedal put at a certain setting do it?

4. cheshirepig

cheshirepig

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    well the pedal works like so:
    it has two stomp buttons: AGS and preamp. when only the AGS is on, nothing happens, when only the preamp is on, the preamp is on, and when both on are, the preamp is on with gain. but when you have the preamp on, and then you kick in the AGS, there is a jump in volume as well as warmth/gain (and there are separate gain and master knobs on it, both of which affect the only-preamp output). I want the jump in warmth/gain, but not the jump in volume, and i only want to push the AGS button to achieve that.

.. does that make sense?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, it makes plenty of sense, and it's well-acknowledged that Aguilar screwed the pooch with that design flaw.

A volume knob at the main output does no good because it would reduce the level of both AGS'ed and clean signals. You want a volume knob that only affects the AGS output level. I don't know of anyone dinking around with that circuit yet, but if you are able to locate the point where the AGS rejoins the output, then you should have little trouble installing a passive attenuator there.

You can use a simple DIY "audio probe" to find that point in the circuit. Check GEOFEX, RG Keen's site, or diystompboxes for info about making the audio probe.

6. seacouch

seacouch

Apr 21, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I used the Tonehammer for awhile, but have switched to the Radial Bassbone, which I just find generally more useful for a variety of reasons. You might want to take a look before spending any more time on the TH.