1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mode Video Help!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Snerek, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    i've been trying to grasp the new concept of modes and how they all work together and with the applicable chords.

i found this video, can anyone help clear up what he's talking about with minor modes!

how strict are these "rules"?

thanks ya'll

2. Mo' Bass 00

Mo' Bass 00

Aug 15, 2006
    what video?:eyebrow:

3. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    If you're just starting out with modes, I wouldn't use this video... he's getting into some fairly advanced stuff there.

What sort of music are you looking to play?

5. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    well, i have taken formal lessons, so i have a "basic" understanding of modes... i've learned all 7 and i'm in the process of getting "comfortable" with them..

however last night i was thinking about them, and lets say we're in "c major"... the modes are working with no sharps or flats BUT then i started to wonder, what about c minor modes??

so flatten the 3rd, start on the 6th mode? or is is the 2nd mode? ha ya know?

see why i'm confused a little there?

i'm playing in a rock/pop band whos pushing into jazz & funk

www.FreeHenryBand.com

6. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007

7. If you are in C major you have:

C major (Ionian)
    D dorian
    E phrygian
    F lydian
    G mixolydian
    A minor (aeolian)
    B locrian

If you are in C minor you have:

E flat major (Ionian)
    F dorian
    G phrygian
    A flat lydian
    B flat mixolydian
    C minor (aeolian)
    D locrian

So the modes of the C major scale are the modes of the A minor scale.
    The modes of the C minor scale are the modes of the E flat major scale.

Here I'm talking about the natural minor. You get a different set of scales working out the modes of the melodic and harmonic minor scales as well.

8. Snerek

Snerek

Jan 12, 2007
    okay thanks, that clears it up a little bit! my brain in fried! ha i've crammed it all in within 3 days, but i can see it coming together already