Mode vs diminished scale

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fat-bottom, Jun 22, 2001.

1. What mode is most closely related to the C diminished scale?

A friend tried to point this out to me and I am struggling with it.
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA

Both in the key of Db:

C Locrian - 1-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7-1 (C-Db-Eb-F-Gb-Ab-Bb-C)

Or, the 7th mode of Melodic Minor's modes, which is:

C (half-dimin?), commonly known as "Super Locrian"- 1-b2-b3-b4-b5-b6-b7-1 (C-Db-Eb-Fb-Gb-Ab-Bb-C)

I'm sure there's much closer, but I've been putting things in boxes for the last 8 hours, so I'm not running perfectly here! I just hope what I wrote was correct!
  3. T Jay, here is an interesting way to view the diminished scale in terms of modes that are closely related to it. try this out... play a c dim scale and then play an ascending melodic minor scale beginning on the flat second scale degree (d flat). these are actually the same scale with different origins and endings. <br><br>I'm not sure that C locrian is really close to the C dim scale in functionality because you would be missing the major third in the C dim scale. this is important because it is this scale degree along with the flat 7th scale degree that gives this scale its dominant functionality. remember, one would typically use a scale like the c dim scale over some type of altered dominant chord... i.e. Cb9 13, C#9 b5, etc.
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The C dim scale is C D Eb F Gb Ab Bbb(A) B C

No major 3rd there. Also no flat 7. There is no dominant functionality with the Diminished scale. I've used the diminished whole tone (super locrian, altered scale) over dominant chords (altered dominants), and you could use the diminished scale, it just depends on how you resolve it. But there are better choices.

Generally, scales don't have functionality anyway, the chords make up functional harmony.
  5. So a C dim scale is made up of B dim and C dim arpeggios?