Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Model Js in my Corvette

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, May 4, 2005.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey guys, i did a quick search here and couldnt find anything relating to what im about to ask, so here goes. I'm most likely going to be placing an order tonight off www.bestbassgear.com and ill be ordering some new toys for my corvette, namely a hipshot d-tuner and then a set of dimarzio model js. I just wanted to be sure that these pickups would fit in my warwick corvette std. 4 string without any hassle such as routing or adding wood or anything. I've heard that these pickups are deep, so if I can't use the foam under the pups anymore I don't think that would really be a big deal. I read somewhere that nikki sixx doesn't have foam under his pups and he thinks it gives more of a ballsy sound? True or not I'd like to know if this would be ok. Also if anyones done this mod does it really eliminate all or most of the hum? Thank you in advance.
    -Alex

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Model J's are humbucking so there shouldn't be a hum if they are installed and grounded correctly.

I'm interested in this thread, but I like my Corvette just fine with the stock MECs; Deep, clear, and mean. :D

Maybe you could post before and after sound clips?

3. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Hey, I've got Ultra J's on my Corvette Std. they are incredible, the best upgrade that you can do on a corvette IMO. however I don't have foam under mine, my vette has the old school type springs under each pup, and it works fine, they are a little deeper than the stock MEC's but not a whole lot, you should be able to still use some foam underneath 'em without a problem. they should also fit in the stock routes as well.

although, the pups alone won't eliminate all of the hum...if you haven't already, you might want to consider fully shielding the electronics cavity also, that is another upgrade I did on mine that has made a big improvement. it is what eliminated all the hum on mine. its DEAD QUIET now.

good luck, let us know how you like 'em once you've got them installed... :bassist:

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I put a set of Model J's in my old Corvette, and it simply amazing. Great tone, no hum, no body modifications required.

5. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Oooh sounds good. So, I guess ill have the tech fully shield the cavity while hes installing the pickups cuz itd be easier to do it all in one go i guess. How much did this shielding run you? Is the labor quick and easy or not?

Also, I'm not sure about teh before sound clips but ill try. One of my friends is actually gonna lend me his iMic so i can record some stuff into garage band. (i have a mac) If i can get it in the next couple days ill definitely record some stuff.
    Thanks for your help.
    -Alex

6. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    The pickups do reduce the hum alot, but they didn't eliminate it completely, but in combination with the shielding, the hum was gone...I shielded it myself so I don't know how much someone would charge to do it. it wasn't too labor intensive... there's a thread around here somewhere that really goes into detail about shielding w/pics and everything, if you're looking to do it yourself, I would take a look at it.

I got the shielding tape and everything at www.stew-mac.com, its all pretty cheap.

with the Dimarzio's and a good shielding job, you're bass will be completely humless and sound like a million bucks... :D

7. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
  8. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For those of you who upgraded your Corvette Standard with the Ultra Js or even the Model Js, was there any issue with pickup dimensions or size differences? I used to have a Corvette Standard and I ended up going the active route via EMG pickups and 3-band EQ. Sounded great but I think was a bit much. Considered the Ultra Js but never pursued further.

9. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    When I dropped in the Model J's there was no size difference as far as the pickup routing was concerned. I did have to use a bit less foam under the pickup because the DiMarzio was a bit deeper than the stock MEC.

10. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thanks for that man. I don't think I'll be doing the shielding myself because im pretty young and also i figure while my bass is getting the pups put in and the dtuner put on i might just have him shield it too. Hopefully it won't cost too much money. Thank you for reminding me about the cover, I hadn't thougbht of that. Ill tell him to shield that too although id think a tech would have the sense to do that. Also, I haven't placed my order yet beecause I don't have a credit card and my parents have been busy but hopefully I'll do it today. Thanks again everyone.
    -Alex

11. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Coincidentally, the big brown truck just dropped off a box from MF with a set of DiMarzio Model J's in it :p

12. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    ahh lucky you...I'll be saying the same in a few days i hope

13. silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You won't be disappointed.

14. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    not a problem bro...I'd be interested in knowing how much someone would charge to do a shielding job...let us know how you like 'em once you get 'em all setup...

15. Groove Theory

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    +1
    although my 'vette has the old school springs to support the pups, they still work fine, no modification required...

16. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    will do! I can't wait.
    However, my mom is now telling me somethings wrong with her mastecard but hopefully it will get sorted out soon.
    -Alex

17. ricardex

ricardex

Mar 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Alex, could you please post a pic of the D-tuner job after it's done?
    I just installed it in my Corvette, and let me tell you, there is not too much room for the thumb lever to move, mine barely gets the Low D before the thumb lever touches the G tuning peg :meh: , and I just would like to know if I did it right. ;)

thanks

18. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Sure thing man! ill definitely post pictures of everything and mb some sound clips too if i can figure that out. Sounds like someithng might be wrong with yours because i know ive seen warwicks with dtuners before so it should work. Which one did you buy?
    -Alex

19. ricardex

ricardex

Mar 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    from Art Porter of Hipshot products:

"Hello Ricardo;
    Thank you for your interest in our products. You are correct, with the
    D-tuner mounted in the same hole there will not be enough room to allow the
    D-tuner to function correctly. This, as you noticed, is because the tilt on
    the tuners. The only other option is to rotate the E string and the A string
    tuners so that they are standing up. This should allow the D-tuner enough
    room to work. I know this seems a little funky aesthetically, but it's the
    only way to get it to work right on the Warwick basses with the tilted
    tuners. Let me know if I can help you with anything else. we look forward to
    hearing from you.
    Best Regards;
    Art Porter "

...cool guy hu?, anyway now I think that rotating the E tuner just a little bit will be enough, but that little bit is like half way (or less) of the actual alignment screw hole, which means that I'll have to seal it before drilling the new one, that will be good enough and maybe aesthetically unnoticeable.

But for now I'm leaving it the way it is. ;)

20. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    uh oh that doesnt sound good......are there any other options for detuning such as maybe a bridge device or sometyhing that could do it? I'm not so keen on changing the angle of my tuners but if necessary I'd do it. I know that I've seent teh bridge d-tuners on fury basses and does anyone know if they're commercially available? Luckily I haven't placed my order yet due to my moms credit card expiring and I'm glad I didn't. Thank you.
    -Alex