Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

model j's vs. hot jazz (non stack)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Sep 2, 2003.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i've got my pickup search narrowed down to these two pickups. i'm looking for a strong, thick, balanced tone that works very well in a loud rock setting. i play into a mesa 400+, and an svt 8x10. here are my pro's and con's.

model j
    pro--great reviews, p in j casing, great for rock
    con--don't like the adjustable pole pieces, don't have any need for the humbucking ability

hot jazz
    pro--great reviews, don't have adjustable pole pieces, great for rock
    con--maybe too much output that might distort?

what do you all think. i know the hot jazz are alittle more expensive, but not so much that it puts them in a different league. i play loud, chaotic rock (check my signature). what one's would you recommend.

2. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    anyone have any ideas?

3. FWIW, I'm playing a Buster thru a GS-212 so we might generally be after the same thing sonically. I just built a PJ that was supposed to rock but it turned out to be really sensitive, sophisticated, rich, smooth . . . OK, not that it was a priority, but now my jazz gigs are covered; enough of that. Got my old school P already, so it's time for me to get a J body and stuff it with Model Js. No Ultra for me, I want supreme rudeness.

PS, my ideal of rude sound (raw thunder) is a '68 Tele bass (single coil) that I played many years ago. I think an important part of the recipe for rudeness is Northern (not swamp) ash. Just figured I'd mention it in case you don't have your body picked out yet.