model j's vs. hot jazz (non stack)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thetaurus, Sep 2, 2003.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i've got my pickup search narrowed down to these two pickups. i'm looking for a strong, thick, balanced tone that works very well in a loud rock setting. i play into a mesa 400+, and an svt 8x10. here are my pro's and con's.

model j
    pro--great reviews, p in j casing, great for rock
    con--don't like the adjustable pole pieces, don't have any need for the humbucking ability

hot jazz
    pro--great reviews, don't have adjustable pole pieces, great for rock
    con--maybe too much output that might distort?

what do you all think. i know the hot jazz are alittle more expensive, but not so much that it puts them in a different league. i play loud, chaotic rock (check my signature). what one's would you recommend.
  2. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    anyone have any ideas?
  3. FWIW, I'm playing a Buster thru a GS-212 so we might generally be after the same thing sonically. I just built a PJ that was supposed to rock but it turned out to be really sensitive, sophisticated, rich, smooth . . . OK, not that it was a priority, but now my jazz gigs are covered; enough of that. Got my old school P already, so it's time for me to get a J body and stuff it with Model Js. No Ultra for me, I want supreme rudeness.

PS, my ideal of rude sound (raw thunder) is a '68 Tele bass (single coil) that I played many years ago. I think an important part of the recipe for rudeness is Northern (not swamp) ash. Just figured I'd mention it in case you don't have your body picked out yet.