Model One humbucker in a Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Birchtree, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Birchtree

Birchtree

Mar 23, 2013
    Hey all!
    I was thinking of dropping a humbucker into the neck position of my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass. My main bass is currently a MIM active Jazz, so the Squier has been gathering dust, figured I'd give it some unique spice. I'm going for that Mel Schacher/Berry Oakley kind of grinding tone. Now, I know this is very subjective, but how would a DiMarzio Model One suit that role? I'm working on a bit of a budget, and unfortunately many of the vintage EB style pickups or the Hagstrom Starfire style pickups can run for quite a lot. The Model One is a little cheaper, and I would assume less noisy, but I'm worried it might be a little too high on gain. Any thoughts? Have any of you used a Model One in a jazz before?

2. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    It looks like you've done your research, seeing as Schacher and Oakley both used humbuckers on their jazzes in that position. I think a lot of that grind sound has to do with their amplification, not so much in their choice of pickups. If you have a clean amp, you will have a very deep bassy tone, with not much mid grind unless you have some overdrive in your signal chain somewhere, but I'm guessing you already have that part taken care of.

Another thing to consider is routing the body of the bass, which can be a pain. I say go for it. It sounds like you know what you're going for.

3. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I can't find the image at the moment, but I do recall finding a webpage of someone who installed a neck mudbucker into a Jazz bass. I'm not sure if there was a mudbucker or a Model One, but it was wired parallel to the rest of the pickups.

If you want to first give it a go and see how it'll sound position-wise, go and get yourself an Artec Mudbucker, a copy of the original Gibson EB-0 neck pickup. They can usually be had for 30 USD or so. Those are wound much hotter than the Model One, have huge amounts of low end and next to no treble, especially in that position. Compared to the Mudbucker, the Model One is much cleaner and blends well with other pickups.

The good thing is, if you want more treble out of an Artec, you can easily unsolder the two leads connecting the coils and then rewire the coils in parallel, getting a much cleaner sound, which will also mix better with the comparatively lower-wound J pickups. How you tie them in with the existing pickups (always on, separate volume pot, or something else entirely) is up to you. If you want ideas, fire away and I can either direct you to a good existing schematic or make a new one for you.

4. the mojo hobo

the mojo hobo

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I did this with my Rickenbacker a long time ago. It was awesome. Go for it.

rick-1.jpg

5. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I don't know if it'll help any, but here's someone who swapped their neck pickup for a mudbucker, and then build a small circuit to prevent the mudbucker killing the J-s output.

Still searching for that original wiring, give me a few more days...

6. I did this to a P-bass.
    ef7c0f03.jpg
    In the end, it ended up being a mod that wasn't very useful to me, so I returned it to a normal P.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021