Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modem Problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey, my modem (obviously not this one), connects to the internet, but won't send and recieve info. It ties up the phone line, but that's it. I know this sounds not detailed enough, ibut it's all I know. Anyone know what's wrong? (I tried switching phone chords, no dice)

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What's a modem?

Is that something that comes on one of these things?

[​IMG]

brad cook

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, that's the one... it unfortunatly came with William Shatner attached.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

Ah now we have the answer to your problem. Shatner escaped and now has his own TV series therefore your modem no longer workds. Simple enough...you need a new Shatner. I'll send you a bill.

brad cook

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    What model computer
    What model modem
    Which OS?
    What program for internet access

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Uhm, hmm. Well, it's an older gateway, not sure of the modem. Windows 98... and I connect using people PC.

I'm on my girlfriend's computer running through the same phone line fine.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Try: AT&F&C1&D2&Q6W2

:D

(God I actually used to know what that meant when I used to use a 1200baud modem....ahh..the olden days!)

8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Got you beat. I'm old enough to remember 110 baud and paper printing terminals with paper tape punches.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    110 baud? Wouldn't it have been quicker to walk the data across? :)

10. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    You could try a different modem in your computer. They cost maybe $15 at a good computer store (CompUSA or Fry's), and they're very easy to install yourself.

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Sometimes I thought the same thing myself. Let me tell you, that we were all in awe when we got the 300 baud modem with a CRT terminal. That was rock-n-roll back in the late 70's.

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I was born in the late 70's :)

I remember getting my first 14.4k modem (up from 2400baud) and thought it was grease lightening! I remember being in awe when I first started using the internet and had to learn basic UNIX commands because there was no WWW available to me at the time! Man...i may have even been nerdish...gave that up quick smart! :D

13. Take out the modem, smash it, and then call a high speed internet service :eyebrow:

14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I assume you power cycled the computer. If you have, try powering off, remove the modem from the slot, blow the dust off the connectors, and reseat it. If that nor the AT commands given above work, get a new modem for 10 bucks in any computer store.

Another idea, go into Control Panel and find the modem under Hardware or Devices (been awile since ive seen 98) Make sure it is functioning properly and not conflicting w some other hardware.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Or pick up the phone and yell:

"ONE, ZERO, ZERO, ZERO, ONE, ONE..."

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ahh yes...the good old days...when we dreamed of a future of computers fitted with steering wheels:

[​IMG]

brad cook

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Uhm... I think I might just stop being poor by robbing the rich and giving to the me... then I'll use that money to buy/sell drugs. Then, I'll use that money to buy bass gear/music stuff so I won't need the internet/any other form of amusement anymore.