Moderately priced 4.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Mar 7, 2001.

1. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Everyone,

I have decided to get a good four. I have a five string and my first bass which is a piece of crap so I am trying to find a decent four. I am looking around the $400 range. As always I am on a budget. Does anyone know of any decent basses around this price. I would rather pay more a get a better bass then pay less. I was looking into a Cort Curbow 4. I also do a lot of slapping so keep that in mind. Any suggestions are appreciated.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Around $400, I'd advise used at that price point.

If you can go over $400, I saw a `99 Fender Precis w/Basslines pups for $549. (You could try to talk down).

Also saw a G&L SB-1 signed by Doug Pinnick of Kings-X for $469.

Both were at

I'll get back if I see any others that look okay. I'm a little leery of buying a bass from eBay unless the seller has a flawless feedback record. At least at a place like Bass Palace, they have a rep to maintain.
    Get a costom bass for dirt cheap. The standard 4 string starts at $450, and you have many options.

check it out, I might be getting one myself
  4. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    USED! If you know what to look for sometimes you can find great deals at pawn-shops, but they also have a-lot of overpriced crap, so take a buddy with you.
  5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Save a little more and go on ebay you can get a nice warwick for under a grand some times!
  6. For around $450. get a custom made bass the way you want it. See Dave over at DP Custom
    also see the discussion on this forum about DP Custom or also called Pushic basses.
  7. Well I would either get a used G&L SB-1 or SB-2 or if you must have a new bass, I believe that the Godin SD is hands down, the best new instrument in that price range. They are really well made (especially the necks and neck joint) and they sound great. They are made in Quebec and New Hampshire with really good quality Canadian maple (although I guess the rosewood's from somewhere else).
  8. oohh... this is a tough one from my perspective....

Around $400.00 is where the top end of the entry-level or starter basses are at (IMO!)

Then the threshold for mid-priced basses begins(IMO!).......

You want a really decent bass basically at the point where there is for the most part alot of different upgrades as well as comprimises occuring on various makes & models of basses....tough call for sure.

Best thing is to just get out there and start A-B'ing varoius basses, if you can $tretch it a bit go for quality....

Best of luck
  9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    You can get a few decent bass guitars in the $400-$500 price range

1. Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
    2. Ibanez Sr400
    3. Guild Piolet Pro
    4. Yamaha BBG
    5. Dean Edge
    6. ESP

there are other brands out there besides these, and in my opinion the jazz bass, gives you the most bang for your buck. They are also very playable. Just one question, Why are you going from a 5 string to a 4 string? Most people go 4 to 5.
  10. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    In case anyone was wondering I am most likely going to go with a used bass. Does anyone here have any experiences with those DP Custom basses.
  11. There is a whole forum devoted to DP Custom Basses on this site. Go there to see and hear more about those DP Customs!!!