Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

moderately priced 5 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gallienkrueger, Jan 6, 2004.

1. i was originally thinking of getting a 6 string but now i realize i dont really need/want a 6 string. for about 500-600 dollars i was thinking a Ibnaez BTB 405 or a Soungear. How are the sound gears? they look good to me but how do they sound? what one would be the better bass the BTB 405 or a Soundgear?

2. i was also thinking if i saved up an extra 100 dollars i could buy a Lakland Skyline 55-01, so of all those what would be best?

3. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Although I haven't played either for long enough periods of time to make a impression.I always thought the BTBs looked quite nice :p
    KSD should also be around your price range.
    Yea or a skyline would be nice, I haven't sat down with Laklands much either, but I remember thinking to myself, hey I wouldn't mind owning one of these :) another option for you is if you buy used, a Roscoe Beck V, that thing I've sat down with and was very very impressed.

4. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    BTB has better electronics & pickups, I believe. Definately a 35" scale, unlike SoundGear 34" scale, although I personally prefer a 34" scale.

I'd suggesting listening closely before you buy, though. In that price-range, for a 5-stringer, I'd go with Fender. I don't like the "Ibanez sound", although I've got one, since I was looking for a cheap 6-string with active electronics.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can save up the extra $100, do it. The 55-01 is better than either Ibanez.

6. stevenr

stevenr

Oct 11, 2002
    I've been cycling into a five string lust ever since I picked up a Washburn Force 5 (about $700). The strings are very close, and the thing must weigh (almost?) as much as a Music Man, but the tone and tight B just blows me out of the water.
    Having been teased into goofing around with in-store bassed going for 2X the price (Smith, Music Man, G&L, Carvin), nothing has the feel of that B string. I have found a Pedulla, an Alembic, and luthier bass that beat it (and on all levels of craftsmanship too), but those bassed set the standard for everybody else.
    On the other hand, it might be that bass, rather than the model: I haven't found them in more than one store, and the owner only has the one.

7. i dont think so, all the BTB is from what i was told when i did another thread asking about the 6 string is its just passive pickups with an EQ, the Skyline i believe is active pickups(bartolini i believe)with a EQ as well.

8. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I think PhilMan99 was comparing the BTB and Soundgear, not the BTB and Skyline.

I've heard way more votes for the BTB than Soundgear over the past couple years. They are not that similar in feel, I'm not sure about sound. Does body size, weight, string spacing and scale length not bother you going either way on the two Ibanez different models?

9. Lets put the Peavey Grind 5 NTB into the mix:

• 35" scale
    • Neck thru
    • Imbruya, maple, mahogany lamination
    • Passive (but easy to upgrade)
    • List price at $399
    • Excellent styling - Looks very much like a Millenium

10. i find it funny how everytime i put up a thread about a good bass for an affordable price Peavey gets mentioned

11. You can get a Spector Q5. They are good if you are looking for a more modern hi fi tone

12. My MTD Heir 5 was $600, top of your price range. It has a very nice low B (balanced tonally and tension wise with the other strings).

Features:
    35" scale
    24 frets
    Buzz Feiten Tuning System
    J/MM pickup configuration (passive, but I've seen a couple used ones modded with an Aguilar preamp - heard very good things about doing this).

I does have a basswood body, which some TBer's will say is soft, but it still scratchfree after two years. Also, I haven't had to alter the intonation through three or four string changes

Somebody mentioned Fender for this price range. The MM pup on full with the Jazz dialed back just a bit gives out killer Jazz bass growl with a lot of punch.

Better for fingerstyle or slap than with a pick though - sounds kinda "clacky" with a pick to me, but some people like that.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    2nd hand Lakland 55-02.

14. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Tribute L-2500. I tried Laklands, KSD, MTD, BTBs and I liked this thing better than all of them. The tone is amazing, quality seems very strong, it is playble and versatile. Try one out...

15. I'm going to stick my neck out here...

I bought a MIA Peavey Foundation 5 off ebay for 140.00 and I just rehearsed with it last night for the first time. Awsome tone, tight B, great playability. These older American Peaveys' are great bargains. I like the Grinds as well, but not the finish. The SR405 is a hell of a bass too.

16. I bought a BTB405 about 9 months ago. I still go to music stores and try out other basses and I have to yet to find anything that I like near as much.

I think that for the money it is a great bass, but, that is me. What will be most important to you is to find YOUR bass, based on how it feels and sounds in your hands. Don't let the parts/specs of the bass lead you. Buy with your ears and hands.

Good luck.

17. have you played a lakland skyline yet?