1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

moderators Vs. Swear Words?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 78bass, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    What's the deal? Are you going to far? Does too much moderation exist?
    Isn't chasing swear words a huge waste of your time?
    What are my limits on religious expression?
    What are my limits regarding sexual expression?
    What are my limits regarding political expression?
    Are the moderators just venting?
    No need to refer me to you FAQ.
    Peace!

2. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Uh oh...

3. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    Was that an open communication between a closed circle of moderators?
    Not sure if this breaks the "questioning moderators" rule but it was a rather strange communiqué.
    Wonderin'

4. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    not to constructive brother.
    if you want to watch a fight, check out some Wish bass stuff.
    You may also be interested in "Are Fodera NYC's made in.."

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    why would you think to put this in Misc? How is this discussion even Music related?

if you have issues with Paul's rules and / or those of us that choose to volunteer our time... you should PM the man or post in the forum suggestions section.

At least off topic and/or lobby if you are just looking to get a rise out of everyone.

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i don't really know the specifics of this situation, but i do know that diplomacy is a difficult thing to accomplish. i'm sorry that you feel wronged by the TB moderators.

7. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    If you want to recommend a different forum I am all ears. Misc. seemed the appropriate place.
    Take it from Bill Cosby: "kids today..etc."
    Family forums are great! But where does it stop.
    I feel that censorship on TB has gone to far. I will not complain profanely.
    I know this is a hot topic on TB.

8. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    That is where they posted their comments. That is the only reason I posted there.

9. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    I don't feel wronged in any way. There is no history with me and mods or punks. I just questioned a immediate closed post.
    Seems strange to do that.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Paul is the owner... the guy you paid....

but I think this section is pretty cut & dry

"Miscellaneous [BG] Music-related discussion, not specific to the bass or any other forum"

you may want to look here
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=59

11. This is a tough one because from the mods view, they are volunteers and have a difficult job to do in limited time.

Personally I have been banned for far less than I watched the following week on a thread posted by a mod. So, is it just the OP'r. No I see the same thing. It's getting to point were our personalities are strongly modified or choked by banning sprees.

Consistency is good. All in all I'd hate to be a mod here. Tough gig.

12. Banning profanity isn't a bad thing at all. It doesn't stop open conversation any. Just leave the words out.

13. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    Paul is doing great work. You can't question my thoughts on Paul.
    I love TB. That is why I sent money. If your problem is the forum location, we can end this quick. I simply responded to a closed post I saw in Misc.
    Do you care to respond to the issue?

You people are so gosh darn defensive.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    the only rule is is it's not acceptable during prime time USA TV, it's not acceptable here.... I really don't see what's the fuss over it.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    no I won't respond... the rules are clear. I don't mod Misc but I did report this thread as soon as I saw it.

besides.....

"Rule #5: Do not question moderation policies/actions in the forums
    If you have a disagreement with a moderator (If your thread gets deleted, if you get a warning, etc.), DO NOT post your complaint publicly on the forums. If you have a problem with a moderator's actions, PM or email the moderator privately. If the moderator's response is unsatisfactory, email the administor (username: Paul).

We take all complaints seriously, but posting your dissatisfaction publicly will result in a rule violation."

16. I'll be the first to admit I swear all the time but not in public because it can obviously offend. I do find some moderating a bit frustrating but not swearing isn't one of them.

I think the TV thing is a good rule of thumb as everyone gets the idea.

17. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    I have no problem with any mod or TB rules!
    You have to admit that rule #5 " don't question" leaves allot or room for interpretation.
    I don't think I have disrespected anybody in any way.
    What the frig is the problem?

18. I guess when you have 70,000 members keeping the place tidy and respectful can be difficult. Given the mods donate their time it's understandable the rules must be pretty firm.

I understand exactly your point but you'd have to see some of the trash threads too understand why it's enforced as firm as it is.

Also, theres about 3000 posts per day so imagine having to keep that tidy. All the mods are pretty good imo, I think one may play the flute a bit but even he's a laugh.

No point getting frustrated over it, just enjoy.

BTW, Try being away for a few days coming back and not knowing a rule changed and then getting banned in the first post! Just bad timing and luck.

19. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    Understood!
    I don't have any idea what these people go through.

I will pay more attention to thread definitions in the future.
    I kneel down and bend over.
    In prayer for forgiveness.
    Beauty On!

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Here's the deal - swearing must fall under the US network TV rule. If you can't say it on US network TV, you can't say it here. If you don't know - find another, more appropriate way to express yourself. It's not that hard.

Questioning the moderation of Talkbass is a violation of the user agreement. Consider this a warning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.