1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

moderators vs. swearing.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by 78bass, Aug 25, 2007.

1. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    What are your thoughts?

2. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Paul has a no swearing rule and the mods enforce it. FTW!

3. I have never had a problem with the no swearing rule.

4. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    I knew the rules when I signed up so I'm fine with it.

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    It irritates me as I can't write in the conversational style I'd be using to speak to you....what can I say, I'm a little blue collar rough....it's who I am. You can call someone a moron but you can't use even something less blatant like WTF? without disguising it with a font colour change to black like I did here.

If I say something like, "You're outta yer **** ing mind" there is ANY illusion at all that I just used a word starting with fu and ending with cking? Network television has much less stringent rules fer crying out loud.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I find this rule ridiculous but I accept it without a problem.
    We're invitees here. My mom taught me not to pee on my hosts' carpet.

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'd say that you may learn how to use more words than vulgarity. There are a lot of words out there. Especially when addressing individuals here - there's no need for name calling or swearing, really, there's not. I don't have a problem with the rules either.
    And if there's someTHING you don't like, can you not find non-swearing words to get your point across?
    If you were conversing with me and swearing, I'd walk away anyhow. And that may cause us each to miss valid points of discusison that could have taken place.

8. The "no swearing" rule makes sense since members who are children may be reading the boards and posting. If this were a strictly 17+ forum then the "no swearing" wouldn't be as necessary. I think its beneficial to make this forum accessible to bass enthusiasts of all ages. Therefore, I have no problems abiding with the rule. ;) :bassist:

9. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    And what would TB be without it's "guests"? We ARE TB.

I'm not advocating unbridled use of the language in question and I certainly have enough command of the the language not to be completely at a loss without being "vulgar". But as we are of all stripes here I feel there is validity in the notion that my thoughts are occasionally best expressed in the somewhat lowbrow persona that is a genuine part of me.
    If you walked away from me when I was discussing with you in person the finer points of rigging a wilding wall and I happend to look up and wonder why someone had left the headblocks all cow-****** I probably would stop that kind of language IMMEDIATELY....I'd be laughing too hard to say anything.

10. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I know what you mean, but..... I work at a high-tech company, and if I were conversing with a customer or perhaps a peer at another company, I would not resort to vulgarity, even if it were "me". And I take that tack here as well. It's just a matter of respect.
    I felt like a good laugh, and looked up wilding wall - is it the bed thing? So I get a mental picture of a bed falling off the wall.
    Well, it was funny anyhow.
    :)

11. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    And I understand your point also, it's a valid one.

A wilding wall (one that "wilds") is a wall on a movie set that can be taken out to reveal the interior to get a shot of it....part of my gig is to make stuff like that go up and down and it was just the first example I thought of where I might feel a genuine need to use naughty words. Glad you saw the humor.:D

And as annoying as I might find it it is a good challenge to express certain thoughts without saying things like "the ****-ing ******-er is totally ****-ed!" :eek:

12. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    My problem is not with the profanity rules...it's with their selective enforcement by certain mods.

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    If you are incapable of expressing your thoughts and beliefs without cursing, then you're concerns shouldn't lie with the rules of TB, but rather with your own upbringing and lifestyle.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I could care less either way. SInce there are a lot of kids on this site, I think it's a good idea to keep the vugarities to a minimum, aka zero.

I curse a lot and it's part of the way I talk. I have enough restraint that when I'm around kids and in certain situation, I don't curse. If you have to curse. you could go to other online forums that let you curse as much as you want.

15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    imwithstupid.

Great post. I swear like a jazz musician when on the gig. When at home with my 4 year old, the wife (a good country girl with a serious mouth on her) and I try to find creative substitutions - we amuse ourselves with the Brit ones that sound out of context in KY like "sod off", "bugger", "bloody this/that", etc... Teaching classes at the U, I have to edit some/much of my normal casual language when teaching classes on the "legit" side of things, and can slightly relax the editing rules when teaching the jazzers - kind of a "when in Rome" thing. Here at TB, the rule is "masked profanity", so a mod's job is to mask it when he sees it.

About the "selective enforcement" part, that's a slippery slope. OF COURSE each mod handles their own forum(s) in their own style. Some mods give infraction points for unmasked profanity. Some give warnings. I don't do either. When I see profanity, I change it to something like "teats", "poo", "fornicate" etc. if it seems to fit the style of the thread and lighten things up. If another mod reports the thread, I'll usually just mask the profanity. Either way, I put "Carlin Rules" in the edit box and just go on. Occasionally, I'll add a short PM with a link to the profanity rule if I think that the poster doesn't know the rule exists, or has forgotten about it. The day I have to start giving "infraction points" for unmasked profanity is the day I'll start considering walking away, but that's just me.

Also, the rule started making a lot more sense once I was a parent; in fact, I actually appreciate places on the net that are kid friendly more than I ever imagined I would or could.

16. Vulgarities are too often used to insult someone, and I wouldn't want to visit a forum where people tear down each other like that.

17. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Exactly. Some of us are at work and cussing would make it that much more difficult to access.

There is no need for cussing in any post. Period. There are many other ways to wax the poetic.

Remember, you agreed to the no cussing rule so abide by it...this is Paul's baby...not yours and we have to follow the do's and don'ts accordingly, if not then read the agreement a bit more closely next time.

18. It's a non-issue for me. I can express myself without the use of profanity.

19. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    A broadly sweeping, ridiculously oversimplified statement like this is just not true and you need to be prepared to defend your position against specific cases. In mine my mother who you so carelessly insult has a masters degree in journalism and my father is a minister with a Ph.D in clinical psychology and I certainly didn't learn to swear growing up in their home. Then you infer I should be repentant of having spent a great deal of my working life in places like tour buses and logging camps where swearing is a coarse but often subtle and occasionally highly artistic and entertaining form of communication.

If you'd just said, "If you are incapable of expressing your thoughts and beliefs without cursing, then you need to learn how in order to post successfully at TalkBass" I would (with stated reservations) agree. As there are ways of communicating without swearing so there are ways of getting your judgmental rocks off without insulting someones mother or career/peer choices. Maybe it's not quite as satisfying as being arrogant and insulting but then sometimes neither is not swearing.
    In the interest of harmony we all have to suck it up a little sometimes, eh?

As for unfair moderation in the past I have felt hard done by by some moderators but lately my transgressions have been dealt with fairly and with a sense of humor. I've been around TB almost seven years and the mods I seem to work over are definitely relaxing and maturing into the job of separating personal feelings from enforcing the rules. They're all human though and need the same slack cut them as I'd have from them.

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Entirely fair, and this hypothetical recipient of the above comment is glad you feel that way now. At least one hypothetical moderator I see every day in real life was a bit of a wanker before he got his "net legs" under him, but has since (I hope) learned some better ways of internet behavior in the meantime. As always, YMMV. :)