Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modern active USA Precision Deluxe vs 80s-early 90s passive USA Precision Plus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Nov 7, 2005.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I am wondering how a passive Fender Precision Plus bass (one Lace Sensor P, one Lace Sensor J pickup) compares in loudness/ability to cut through a mix with a modern active Fender Precision Deluxe (one P, one humbucker.)

I am used to active basses (I pay a G&L L2000 and USA Fender Jazz Deluxe). In my experience, active basses tend to be much louder. However I have played some passive basses that have been louder than certain active basses. I was surprised with the output I got out of the Lace Sensors on a early 90s Fender Jazz Plus, but these were active Lace Sensors. I am wondering if the passive Lace pups found in the Precision Plus are going to be at all similar in terms of output...

I love the tone of certain passive pickups but tone aside I need to be heard...and most active pickups have a lot of tonal possibilities...

2. mwharvey

mwharvey Mike Harvey

Nov 16, 2003
    San Diego, Ca.
    I have a precision plus (ash body with maple fingerboard) I bought new in '89 or '90. The lace pickups and control set were the things I did not like about it. The output was low and I could never get the tone I was looking for. I ended up using EMG's for a while and currently have Bart's in it (which I am happy with). I bought the base because it is the easiest playing base I have come across.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    bass*

4. mwharvey

mwharvey Mike Harvey

Nov 16, 2003
    San Diego, Ca.
    Sorry, I went to school in California.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There are no active Lace Sensors. The Jazz Plus had a preamp (as did later P Plus basses) but the pickups are passive.

Passive vs. active has NOTHING to do with "cutting through the mix" anyway, all that matters is the overall tone of the instrument.

The output of the pickups matters very little, that's why amps have volume controls!!!

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Irecently picked up a Precision Deluxe V and I am still debating whether or not to keep it. It is a great bass, but I really miss my Stingray. Back to the point, Precision Deluxe is super loud, it has an 18 volt circiut and it can almost overwhelm a smaller amp with the bass turned up. I think this bass has an awesome finger style tone with both pickups on and it sounds great with either pickup soloed. The big P pickup does it's thing to perfection and the double J bridge pickups gets some awesome Jaco style burp and has great definition for by the bridge playing. The only shortcoming is a less than stellar pluck tone when slapping. The thump or thumb stroke sounds great, but the index or big finger pluck does have the resonance of a Stingray (what does?) Maybe it will be better with new strings, but I do miss that Stingray slap and the Stingray can get some nice faux p sounds and can get somewhat burpy too when played by the bridge. The other great plus for the Fender is its full 19mm string spacing. The Precision Deluxe V is a big instrrument, but it is comfortable to play and has a powerful sound. I hope this post helps.