Modern bands that play a J-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by UzzA, Apr 3, 2002.

1. UzzA

Mar 29, 2002
    Who are some bass players who play a jazz bass? It seems that the J-bass is not used much in todays rock music. The only one i can think of on the top of my mind is the guy from rage against the machine. I believe his name is Tim...........

I ask because i own 2 precision basses and i am interested in buying a MIM Jazz bass.
  2. it depends on what kind of music they play...a fender jazz bass is a little more the 'classic' tone.

playing fusion/ all depends on the player. He/she can use any bass.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. LittleHetzel

Aug 15, 2001
    i do believe the newest former bassist of Metallica, Jason Newsted does. i have seen him with a Jazz plenty of times like in pictures and music videos
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Adam Clayton

And LittleHetzel, Jaon Newsted plays Sadowskies.

Easy mistake. Fender's been copying Sadowsky for years!:D
  6. Seems like I have pics of Pear Jam`s bassist(Jeff Ahmet?)with a J bass.I particularly remember seeing him with a green colored J in the liner notes from one of their live cds.
  7. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Geddy Lee of Rush
  8. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Matt Garrison?
  9. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    The guy in Velocity Girl (Kelly Riles) used one. . :)
  11. Matthew Garrison uses a Fodera...not a jazz bass.
  12. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Oh yeah, I suck at remembering names. Perhaps it was Matt Freeman i meant?
  13. Dirk Lance of Incubus has been spotted with a J from time to time.

I've seen a lot of pop-punk and emo bassists using them--I couldn't give you any names, but I've seen them.
  14. Yes, Matt Freeman of Rancid does play Fender JAzz basses, along with Musicman 4-strings (forgot whether it was Sterling ro Stingray).

15. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    True But I happened to be at the Fodera shop in August and Matt was there Pickin up his new New York model fretless wich is a jazz style bass.

16. he plays either a 60 (studio only) or newer models made by mike lull with graphite necks and bartolini humbuckers right after the neck (followed by the usual JJ config)

he also plays a couple fretless wals and an EUB

EDIT: and that's Jeff Ament...not Ahmet
  17. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
  18. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I took my daughter to a punk show recently, and Jazz Basses ruled the night for New Found Glory and H2O.
  19. AFAIK, Tim Commerford from Rage Against the Machine uses Jazz basses.
  20. James McNew of Yo La Tengo (the best band in the world today, if you ask me), Justin Harwood of Luna (brilliant as well, but I prefer what Dean Wareham did with Galaxie 500 over his Luna-period) and Zak Sally of Low (if you like it moody, Low will deliver) are some American bassists that plays Jazz basses, in really nice settings none the less. This is just to name a few, as JMX said, J-basses might just be the most popular bass around.