1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modern bass speakers for blackface era Bassman/Bandmaster 2x12 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 69SVT, Jan 3, 2017.

1. 69SVT

69SVT

Jun 28, 2014
    Hello and happy new year to all! I have a pair of these cabs and would like to refit them with modern general-purpose bass speakers as the stock speakers were usually guitar speakers and, frankly, don't sound that great for bass. The cabs are the smaller '64-'65 models.

I should mention the cabs will be driven by a pair of blackface Showmans, so the power handling should run a minimum of 100 watts per pair as a safety margin. I won't be running the amps at max power. I am more interested in getting a passable bass sound out of these boxes. This is more for the visual effect than anything else. Not looking for high-end speakers; more like some economical Eminence or similar makes. Speaker and cab efficiency are not priorities.

Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated (including "you're crazy". Indeed I am, but I have my reasons for doing this :) )

2. Rick James

Rick James Banned

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    Use Eminence Beta 12s. Fill the cabs with pillow stuffing polyester to reduce boom.

3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    EV Pros in this cab and it delivers in spades.
    thumb_IMG_0293_1024_zpsw3uuzpou.

ScottTunes, rodl2005 and gsgbass like this.
  4. Betas or even alphas would work, deltas have more sensitivity though

5. Rick James

Rick James Banned

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    In a sealed cab the size of the Fender the Beta has slightly higher sensitivity in the lows. The Delta has a more pronounced break up mode in the mids, but that's not necessarily a positive. The Beta also has a lot more xmax than the Alpha or Delta. That wouldn't matter much to the OP with the low power he's using, but I'd go Beta anyway, in case he ever goes to a more powerful amp.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I have one of these cabs. instead of going 12's I just had Mojotone build me a 1x15 baffle and put a JBL D140 in there. Sounds awesome. You could try similar with a beta 15a or delta 15a, CA154

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    beta 12a2

8. 69SVT

69SVT

Jun 28, 2014
    Thanks for all the replies and info. There is enough positive response favoring the Beta 12 (and I am assuming the 12A version currently being offered is a close-enough equivalent). And enough into the affordable range that I can try them on one cab and see what I think (one cab has 465-524 datecoded Oxfords and the other has 12T6 1974 vintage Oxfords - non original, obviously). The 15" baffle is an intriguing option. Much appreciation to all who replied!

markjazzbassist likes this.
  9. Rick James

Rick James Banned

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    A is 8 ohms. B is 16 ohms, C is 4 ohms.

10. I too think JBLs. K120 for the win IMO. I agree the stock speakers were crap for bass. I always loved the look of Black Faced Fender amps with the blonde telex. :D

11. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    I had E-V 12s in my 212 Fender Bassman/Bandmaster cabinets (the alnico version, IIRC). Sounded great! Sold the Jensen C12Ns for enough $$ to pay for the cabinets!! Wish I'd kept them though...

I also tried swapping the baffles for 15s and the cabinets became too boomy at certain frequencies. Very annoying! I didn't know how to "tune" cabinets then (early 80s), however. And the available drivers weren't anywhere close to todays standards!

Although you didn't ask, I'd recommend using the pink fiberglass in the cabinet to tame the boom, even with the 212s. The stuff that came from Fender worked quite well (still would), if it's still in the cab.

I compared the pink stuff to several non-glass alternatives, and the glass sounds the best - IMO. I discovered this when building my studio (room within a room, in the garage).

As a side note, I find it interesting how both the early 60s piggy-back Fender cabinets were born of Hi-Fi design (fancy ports with single, expensive drivers), and ended up with twin drivers and no ports... I heard Dick Dale was one of the main influences... He played his Showman amps so loud, he kept blowing the ported speaker's driver! But I digress...

12. Rick James

Rick James Banned

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    It may sound best to you, but actual scientific testing has shown the acoustic resistivity index of the 'pink stuff' to be less than polyfill and rigid Type 700 glass (the 'yellow stuff'), and the 'pink stuff' falls apart. The fibers are also abrasive, and over time can get into the drivers and damage them. That's why manufacturers don't use it.

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    ive got the yellow stuff in mine.

14. I have a pair of general purpose cabs.
    PA/monitor/guitar/bass/whatever.
    Each is half of a 212 Bassman, with Deltalite 2512 IIs in them.
    They cover pretty much anything I ask of them, with small size,
    light weight and high sensitivity.

ScottTunes likes this.
  15. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    I've not seen the testing you speak of... However, I suspect manufacturers moved away from fiberglass of any kind due primarily to price, and secondarily due to consumer fears that glass fibers cause cancer. Fiberglass does NOT cause cancer! However, consumer attitudes prevail, as does the bottom line.