Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

modern blues-rock bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by funkfish, Apr 26, 2003.

1. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    any really kickass bands out there that just all-out rock-out?

i'm talkin along the lines of the jon spencer blues explosion cept of course with a bassist....

hmmm

the black crowes almost had it....till deydumbdonebrokeupped.

i need a tele and a jbass on 10! :bassist:

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The bass player for North Miss. Allstars sounds pretty good.

How about Chris Wood of MMW?

Roscoe Beck is good with Robben Ford and the Blue Line...but they sound a little too polished for your tastes.

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Those kinda bands are quite hard to find, actually! I've been pondering to start a band of my own to play such stuff, but so far there has not been much progression.

But anyways, perhaps the closest ones to what you are describing would be bands mixing southern rock and blues, like Jeff Healey Band or Gov't Mule. On a bit different front, Blues Traveller is an excellent band, if perhaps bit lighter than you'd like. Jonny Lang is one of the other young blues players, he can rock out too.

And of course if you dig blues and good rock'n'roll, you should look into AC/DC. I'm heavily into those genres and it's one of my favourite bands.

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Oh yeah. That new Blues Traveler guy Tad Kinchla plays like a mofo!

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, I caught him on a late night talk show (Probaly Conan). He can really lay it down. And that's coming from a pretty big Bobby Sheehan fan right here.

6. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    sheehan was amazing. i dont think anyone can actually replace him.

tad has a whole new approach/tone that's kinda shaping the band in a more poppy sense....

i miss bobby, and the 300 pound john, back in the good ol days of carolina blues.

*sigh*

7. The british bluesman Aynsley Lister and his band are smoking players. I just got their first CD, the bassplayers tone and playing are great.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Another vote for Roscoe Beck... at least I can always use him as an example when the guys in my blues band complain about me not playing an old four-string Fender P... :)

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think we should also mention Tommy Shannon of Double Trouble. (they recorded with the ex-singer of the Screaming Cheetah Wheelies, just recently) He can play tastefully, or he can really smoke, depending on what they song calls for. I just watch a concert of an old Stevie Ray concert a few months ago and Tommy played fantastic. It was back when he played that old sunburst Fender P.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Todd Smallie with the Derek Trucks band is a smoker! Chris Maresh from Eric Johnson & Monte Montgomery's bands is a flat out badass!!!!:bassist:

11. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Bobby Sheehan from the old blues traveller was the MAN! I remember a few years ago i would learn his little fills one at a time and try to use them in different stuff. His lines were very well written and he could really lay it down. When he died I felt like i had jsut lost an old friend. Trully an inspired bass player!

Joe

12. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Oh yeah that new bassist, I have been listening to alot of his stuff and its really nice. That modulus bass sings! I think they gotta nice crew

Joe

13. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    man you guys rock, but i dont know if i can stand the singer. is it you? that would make my dayhehe

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'll second the bass player for North Miss. Allstars (Traa?), Allen Woody of Gov't Mule, and Tommy Shannon. Another great player, but not a blues player, is the fellow who played on some of the early Montrose albums.