Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modern classical bass pieces

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by oliebrice, Mar 8, 2004.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Hello,
    I've been looking for modern classical bass pieces to play. I play jazz and improv and don't expect I'll ever preform classical stuff but would like to play some for my own pleasure and to improve my reading, broaden my vocabulary, etc...
    all I've found so far is a Barry Guy piece and a John Cage piece written for Joelle Leandre, both of which use graphic notation etc and won't improve my conventional reading skills much. Does anyone know of bass music, or adaptable parts (celllo?trombone?) by the likes of Morton Feldman, Steve Reich, Lou Harrison, Webern, etc...?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would recommend getting hold of some copies of 'Double Bassist" magazine - each edition has some sheet music inside - sometimes 2 or 3 pieces for you to play, often with help and explanations.

Of course - they are all written with Double Bass in mind and fall into the area of "modern classical"...:)

http://www.classicalmusicworld.com/home.asp?magazine=bassist

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    There are hundreds of "modern" pieces for the double bass. The earliest probably being "59 .25" for a String Player" by John Cage...Then you also have his "Ryoanji" for Double Bass.

IMO, the music presented in DBist is "modern" only in the sense that it is recently written, most of it does not sound very modern.

4. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK

5. TBONE64

TBONE64 Guest

Feb 22, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    I suggest the Walter Family Album series. There are some very nice pieces in the books. Also, Paul Chihara "Logs" is an interesting piece. There are several nice pieces by Frank Proto. The Proto and the Walter pieces are all available through Lieben music.

6. punkbmx03

punkbmx03

Feb 5, 2005
    does anyone know any classical bass songs? I am talking about stuff like with piano in it and stuff, you know so it is relaxing.