1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

modern equivalent of cool edit pro? (and not adobe audition pls)

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by shwashwa, Jun 28, 2016.

1. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Why not just keep using Cool Edit Pro? There is nothing exactly like it and Adobe killed it when they bought Syntrillium--Audition pretty much sucks. Most multi-track DAWs don't have anywhere near the power of Cool Edit Pro for wave editing. Most wave editors don't have near the power of Cool Edit Pro for multi-tracking. If you MUST have one program to do both (a combination of Audacity and Reaper will do everything you need), just keep using cool edit pro. It doesn't work perfectly on newer version of windows, but it does work...

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  2. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019
    I just purchased a new PC.
    Win 10

3. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I have used Cool Edit Pro on windows 10. it doesn't work perfectly but it does work. The only thing I found that causes problems is trying to preview a plug-in / effect.

4. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019

Oh, but everything else works fine? Even multi tracking?

When you say "effects", do you mean you can't use reverb or other effects within Cool Edit Pro.

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    You can use the effects. What I said was you can't use the "preview" for effects, that crashes every time I try it. Everything else works to the best of my knowledge. At this point though I use Reaper for multi-tracking (because it's better than Cool Edit Pro ever was for multi-tracking) and I use Cool Edit Pro only for wav file editing.

6. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
  7. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I used Cool Edit Pro on a W98 PC for years as a 2 track recorder/editor. I was gutted when I had to use something else (I started using a hand held recorder and it was just getting too messy and time consuming to transfer the files over).

I reluctantly switched to Audacity (on Linux) but soon got the hang of it. It did help that I reconfigured the keypad to (almost) how I had it on CEP which made editing wav files much easier.

8. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019
    Aaaah.

Gotcha!

I saw that too. You can't really edit in Reaper. You have to export. I'm going to try that.

9. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    Just run a virtual machine with a totally compatible version of windows and install an old copy of Cool Edit on there. You'll be good to go.

FDR Jones likes this.
  10. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019
    Interesting.

11. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019
    I found this. Very informative.

12. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I tried that and everything worked except the sound card, but it was a while ago and things might have changed now.

13. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    I'm still using Cool edit pro but I think when it's time to switch I'm going to try mixcraft

14. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019
    I just received Cool Edit Pro 2.0, and when I go to play or record anything, I get an error message "Output Device Error - Undefined External Error". How do I fix this problem?

This is on Win 10 Pro.

15. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Audacity

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I don't own cooledit, but this migh help.

One thing is to set compatibility on the .exe
    Find the c:\Program Files (x86)\... whatever it installs as .exe i.e. cooledit.exe
    Right click on it
    Properties -> Compatability
    "Run compatibility troubleshooter"
    It might help, or just pick and older version of windows to try the compatibility with.

Also, you should install ASIO4ALL and use it as your driver. It solves a lot of problems when people have device errors.

Good luck.

17. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019
    Thanks for taking a shot.

I had a Win update pending. I restarted my computer, and now it's working?

Go figure?

*shoulder shrug*

seamonkey likes this.
  18. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    A big recommendation here for StudioOne Free. User for years, very pleased with it.
    As simple or complex as needed.

19. Jay-Mac

Jay-Mac

May 4, 2019
    Studio One?

Can you post a web link?