1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modern Fender pricing (or Deluxe vs American Vintage '75 Jazz)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Old_Rover, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Old_Rover

Old_Rover

Dec 14, 2009
    Moscow, Russia
    Hi everybody!

I'd like to choose a 'right' Fender Jazz for myself, so have been gathering info on different Fender models. And still can't understand one thing.

An American Standard Jazz is priced $1900 on the Fender website. Used ones usually sell for $750-800, if I'm not mistaken. That's about 40%, anyway less then half of the price. Okay...
    An American Deluxe 4-bangers are priced $2100 for new ones, and about $900 used. Again less then half a price. Good...
    And finally, American Vintage '75 Jazzes are priced $2450 new, and seldom sell for less than $1300. That's anyway MORE, than half of the price of a new one! Often some used Fender Custom Shop basses go for that price.

So, dear fellow TB'ers, what explanations can you suggest for such a disproportion? (Or if I'm mistaken somewhere, please correct me!) And also, for those who have played, compared or even better owned these particular Fender models: what are the real differences between them, and do they justify paying extra $400-500 for a used '75 model?

Best regards from Moscow!
    Paul

2. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    supply and demand...75's are lower in supply than the standards and deluxe models. Simple supply and demand

as for whats best is up to you. If you liek the 70's pickup spacing I guess the 75 reissue is worth the extra $4-500. this is the other half the supply and demand. You demand for the 70's style and the supply is low =)
    If you wait out there are great deals here. Ive seen 75' reissues go for under a grand but youre just have to be patient

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    you could probably get a real 75, for less.

as for the standard, you can get one new for 1200 in most places.

4. There are a lot of people, myself included, that like the "mojo" of the '75 reissue much more than the Deluxes. Nothing WRONG with the Deluxes, just prefer the appearance of the 75 RI. If there are fewer of them, then that adds up to a seller's market for used ones.

Roger

5. Scott McArron

Scott McArron Supporting Member

Like they said, supply and demand.

Also, I love the more authentic feel of the 75 RI, which I own. It oozes vintage in your hands. Maybe other people feel the same way which may increase the demand.