"Modern" Fender??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MonsterTruck88, Aug 12, 2009.

1. MonsterTruck88

MonsterTruck88

Sep 4, 2008
    Anyone know of any Fender basses that are geared toward a more "modern" sound, and that don't have a standard P, J, or P/J configuration? Any Fenders with MM or soapbar style pickups? The only one I can think of is the Big Block P.

2. american fender precision deluxe has a humbucker at the bridge,annndd depending on how much you wanna pay the roscoe beck has dual humbuckers

Technically you could say a "modern" fender would be G&L

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    A Fender Jazz Deluxe is actually a pretty organic sounding bass, IMO. It can get edgier, but you will not mistake it for a Sadowsky at all. That is a good thing, IMO. I think the suggestion a Precision Deluxe is pretty good, with both pickups on, it does move toward the modern side. The only problem is that the fiv string is discontinued, The same is true for the Roscoe Beck series.

4. I agree about the jazz deluxe. It can get a little edgier with more punch but it still sounds like a jazz bass overall. I think modern fender is kind of an oxymoron. Their name is built upon classic styles and tone,which is why most people buy them.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The Roscoe Beck model has two "double Jazz" humbuckers, and is thus outside the typical mold. You might want to look around for a used American Deluxe Zone bass. They were discontinued a couple of years ago (I think), but they're active with dual soapbar pickups, and they sound great.

Or you could broaden "Fender" to mean "Leo-designed," and just get a G&L L-2000. :D For that matter, if you like the "sweet spot" humbucker approach of the Big Block, get a G&L L-1500, which is a direct descendent of the Leo-designed Climax.

6. "Anyone know of any Fender basses that are geared toward a more "modern" sound, and that don't have a standard P, J, or P/J configuration?"

G&L L2000. :bassist:

7. G&L = Fender on steroids

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'm thinking Musicman Sabre = Fender on steroids, G&L L2000 = Sabre on steroids.

9. As already posted, Musicman or G&L. Afterall, they were his next innovations after the original P and J.

Technically they are Leo Fenders..:)

10. Discontinued, but didn't the zone have buckers in it. There was an american model, I can't recall the name, but basically a slimmed up p style body, active 18v preamp with buckers. I think the body was maple/walnut/alder. I think it even had 24 frets. I have a book at home with the specs. I'd have to look again to make sure my specs are accurate.

11. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    Yes! A local music shop got one of those in and wow! Flamed maple top and back, smaller very comfortable body, modern tone and looks. I don't see why it was discontinued...seemed to be a great direction for fender to go.

12. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I've recently acquired a Fender Prodigy and while I love it, I'm thinking of moving it on because it is quite a modern sound (I think I'll go for a straight P next time) and I already have several basses that do 'modern' well. It's from 1990 or thereabouts and has the 9V Kubicki preamp. It's PJ, but I will never again assume that a PJ has to sound old-school!

13. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    I'd have to disagree. And from reading the forums, it seems like a lot of people don't like the active Deluxe Jazzes precisely because they are so modern sounding. While neither of mine are exactly your run-of-the-mill Jazzes, they can get as rough, spanky, or growly as I could want.

Though I understand the OP has already ruled them out (too bad...).

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Just to be clear from vantage, I think Deluxes are wonderful basses! I just think that basses like Sadowsky are more aggressive. For a while, I had a Deluxe and an American Standard Jazz. When I ran the Standard through a Sadowsky preamp, it was far more aggressive and "modern" sounding than the Deluxe.

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I own vintage Fender Jazz basses and just traded for a 2007 Fender American Deluxe 5er.

The 18v pre in the new MIA Jazz V's to me CAN get a pretty modern sound. MUCH more modern than the 1992 and 1997 MIA Jazz Plus and Deluxe basses I played until last year.

As modern as the Sadowsky NYC and 2 Metros I used to own? No.

BTW, this is not nececcesarily a bad thing. I loved my Sadowskys, but they could often be too hot or too bright on occasion. I often fought with them on the low end.

The new MIA Jazz Deluxe basses IMO still offer that old school Jazz sound.... BUT with just enough modern edge.

Not sure I even know what I mean, but the new Jazz Deluxes are great basses!:bassist::p

16. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    You could always get a Sadowsky outboard pre. That will give you a modern vibe with a traditional P or J.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021