modern fretless sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etherbass, Jun 6, 2004.

1. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey guys im looking for a new fretless... maybe around $1500... but i dont want anything that sounds like jaco or fender... i already have a fretless jazz and its great but i want to get away from that jaco sound..and also go to a 5 string... i have thought about carvin, stingray, ibanez, warwick...what else is there? anyone have any suggestions? thanks
  2. Maybe you could get a used Zon...
  3. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    By modern you mean different wood combinations, Pickups, and preamp?
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    used Pedulla or a G&L. Definately look at Zon for modern tone.

I was going for a thick & thumpy almost upright tone with my new fretless :cool: not quite modern... but unique IMO.
  5. Have you tried Godin? I have an A5 and I love it!, very versatile. :)
  6. Something in your price range, with a sound much different from Jaco or Fender...

I just got one, and gigged it this last weekend (Saber C fretless 5, ash body - maple fingerboard). It was a joy to play and sounded nice, got compliments from band members as well as audience members. :)
  7. Oh, and I am a strong supporter of Pedulla as well... :D

(my Pedulla has frets but their fretless instruments are highly regarded also)
  8. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    There are lots of fretlesses that don't sound like Jaco, you have to be more specific.
  9. I vote Zon. Or something Lightwave.

Or a Zon lightwave :D
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'll give yah a vote for Zon. I've heard several soundclips, great sounding basses! I even had a dream not two hours ago (napping in the computer chair really doesn't befit a 16 year old) about driving past a store that had a Zon and my parents refused to stop.

I'm still skeptical about lightwaves. Seems you can't adjust intonation on the older ones, but I dunno about the newer version. And if you're one of those "sound of wood" guys, you might be put off to know that in a Zon lightwave, it seems the majority of the instrument isn't even wood, what with the graphite neck/fingerboard and the literally massive circuitboards and bridge for lightwave pups. Fhodshon used to say he considered his Zon Lightwave "chambered", there was so much wood routed.
  11. I had a freless 5 about twelve months ago that ended up sounding too modern if that's possible, maybe it was just too harsh! It was custon made with a Status graphite neck, zebra wood body in the style of a MM4 with seymour Duncan MM P/U and electronics, the Status neck was killer but the whole combination was just too harsh. Unlike my overwater 6 with ebony board, ash front and back over a walnut core, Overwater electronics with "Q" type controls for eack P/U, sounds sweeeet!

12. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Jaco sounded like Jaco partially due to his technique and partially because he only used the bridge pickup. dial in some neck and it'll sound different even with a Fender Jazz.
  13. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Your previous fretless sounds not a million miles away from my latest project, same sort of thing (Status MM neck, custom body, etc) but as a fretless 5-string. I basically want a fretless that's as good for slapping as it is for typical fretless tone.

Russ :bassist:
  14. The Staus neck was excellent, I think the zebrawood killed it, good luck with your project!
    I've just been playing around with my overwater thru an EBS bass IQ! killer funky, synth like sounds, very "modern!!"

15. netvampire

Apr 22, 2004
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    All make cool fretless basses
  17. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    has anyone tried a stingray fretless? whats it like?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky Modern 24 fret :bassist:
  19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
  20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    ever hear Pino back in the day...

Rays are great fretlesses!