Modern fretted bass with flatwounds..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by eddododo, Feb 2, 2018.

1. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Does anyone have experience with fretted basses with flatwounds that ISN'T something like a motown-dialed P-Bass?

I'm thinking about slapping some flats on my Roscoe Century V, just for giggles.. wondering who has tried anything similar and who would be interested in an update / sound clips of the experiment.

2. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I don’t see why not. I put flats on everything, mostly because I just prefer the way they feel under the fingers. Secondly, because I feel like that’s the tone I like most of the time, regardless of what bass.

I’m currently a one-bass man (crazy, I know). It’s a Stingray with TI flats, and it’s awesome.

Machiavelli, woodyng2 and eddododo like this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Slap 'em on there! Record and post sound clips and videos. Write a review too!

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I've got D'Addario tapes on my Roscoe SKB.
    What kind of sample would you like ?

eddododo likes this.
  5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I used light gauge flats on an Alembic when I had one. It sounded amazing.

6. Flats even sound great on a cheap SX bass. I have a set of Fender flats on my SX Ursa 2 Jazz, and they sound fantastic!

7. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Oh neat! Anything you have or feel like doing would be great, if not I’ll have mine in a couple days

8. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    I've used Chromes on P/P basses and I thought they sounded great, I've also used them on an SX Jazz which left something to be desired (but I don't care for the Jazz sound). That same bass now has a pair of pickups out of the Fender Cabronita, and the flats sound great on it. I don't remember which brand I used for that, though, sorry.

9. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I use TI Jazz Flats on my Pedulla.

10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Yep I use LaBellas, GHS, TI’s and EBMM Group lll Flats on all of my EBMM Basses.

11. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    What constitutes "modern"? I have flats on all my basses, but most are Precisions, but they are "modern" precisions and the other is a "modern" Fender American Pro Jazz.

12. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Nope

TimB 619 likes this.
  13. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I have TI's on my Ibanez SR650 see my avatar. They sound great.

14. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Ibanez BTB 200, sounds great.

15. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Look into Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats. I have used them them on my 5er (H/H, Aguilar OBP-3) with very good results.
    Over two years use on them, just now ready for replacement.

16. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    I've seen a lot of people suggest those but evidently Ernie Ball can only make one flavor of 0.030 string and Cobalt Flats isn't it...

17. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    What was once old hat is new again. I'm so old that I can remember when flatwounds were the only thing you could buy. The 1st time I ever really heard rounds, I playing a battle of the bands and I was using my CBS p-bass fretless with tape wounds. The other band was playing really loud southern rock and the bass player had a Rick with round wounds with a pick through an Acoustic 360. He didn't play anything fancy but the bass tone was so full and rich that he didn't need to. I've used round wounds ever since. I've tried flats but I just can't get into it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  18. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Chromes on my G&L L-2000 were cool. Full sound with depth, but no muddy crud. Mids and highs seemed just fine, too.

Attached Files:

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021