Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modern funkers -- who are they, and who do they play for?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Having agreed to start a modern funk band with a drummer buddy, I kind of need a frame of reference. Obviously Flea, and the bassist for Fred Green, and the fella from the Groove Collective, but that's all I've got right now. Help a four-stringer brother out!

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    For some reason I can't think of any names at the moment... uhh bump!!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Julian Crampton for Incognito is a very funky player!!

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Preston Crump - Raphael Saadiq, Outkast's earlier albums

Check out a band called Dag (NOT Dagnasty or whatever). Very funky.

Prince (although I don't know how modern that is as his funkiest stuff is from the 80's)

Ron Johnson - plays bass for Karl Denson's Tiny Universe (check out an album called "The Bridge")

Robert Mercurio from Galactic - Check out the live album called "We Love Em Tonight"

John Scofield has some jazz stuff that is very funky...check out "Uberjam" first, "Bump" second.

I'm outta time..gotta get to work. Maybe I'll have more later.

brad cook

5. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Have you heard Rainbow Children (2001)? Amazingly funky- Larry Graham for two tracks but prince for the rest.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh yeah...how could I forget Jamiroquai!!

Check out Jamiroquai's "Emergency On Planet Earth." Excellent and a must-have as far as modern funk-soul goes.

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

I used to have that CD actually. I thought there were some good tracks and it was an improvement over his previous newer stuff but overall I wasn't that into it. I sold the CD.

brad cook

8. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Paul Jackson w/ "Headhunters"

Oteil Burbridge of "Oteil & Pacemakers". "Aquarium Rescue Unit" and ABB

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Check out Robert Randolph and the Family Band... can't remember their bassist's name for the life of me, but they've kinda got a 70's-funk/soul-revisited feel. Cool organs and slide guitar too, if you like that down-home feel. ;)

10. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    ditto on Ron Johnson and Rob Mercurio.

Robert Randolph's bassist is his cousin Danyel Morgan... sick bassist.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That's a pedal steel.
    ...I guess Randolph proves it's not just for Country music anymore.
    ;)

12. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    i couldn't agree more. dag is where it is at, was lucky enough to catch them live a couple of times...

(however i find terrific punk influence from dagnasty as well!)

go back to where funk began with larry graham...

cheque out these modern day funkers
    www.deansonbass.com
    outta gainesville florida

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Let's not forget Dennis Chambers and Gary Grainger on Sco's Pick Hits Live. Gary rips it up on a Stingray - HARD. :cool:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Very funky - but is it "modern" - it was released over ten years ago!! And even then it was looking back to styles from previous decades -so Jamiroquai are clearly influenced by 1970s classic funk.

Victor Wooten can be pretty funky, although he does lots of others things - I bought the latest 3 CD Flecktones set - which has some pretty funky stuff and is quite new and original....

15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    There's no question Stu Zender should be on this list, even though it's not clear who exactly he's playing with these days. He's rumored to be playing with a band called "Leroy," and I guess his AZUR project never really got going although he has tracks recorded. Stu can really funk it with the best of them!

16. Alex Al is the new man on the block. He is a little more smooth Jazz than funk, but his playing leaves no doubt that he is FUNKY!! He is an LA session guy. Some of the stuff he is on:
    Jimmy Sommers - Lovelife (Check out the song "This Weekend" nasty)
    Boney James - Shake It Up

I want to say I agree on the Karl Denson's tiny universe. Another great Karl Denson CD is Dance Lesson #2.

Some other MUST HEAR CD'S!!!
    George Duke - Face The Music (Christian McBride on bass, one of the greatest CD's ever)
    BWB - Groovin'
    Dean Brown - Here
    Roy Hargrove - The Hard Groove
    Liquid Soul - Here's the Deal

I could go on endlessly, but I won't!

17. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Yes, he most certainly is! ;)

18. Nobody has really achieved prominence lately in a Bootsy Collins / Rocco Prestia / James Jamerson kind of way. Go back to the old stuff for the bass lessons. There are good modern funk bands, but the bass doesn't really stand out in them. Or there's different bassists and not one associated with the band, or a prominent bassist gets funky once in a while. There is literally nobody famous just for being funky, I don't think. Lot's of people are badasses, but I don't know if any new bass heroes will come out of funk again. Now that bass heroes tend to be pyrotechnic. Meshell is the closest thing, but while she is a badass bassist, she's more famous for the rest of her musicality. Victor is arguably famous largely because he is funky, because many other not-that-famous people can play as flashy as him, but he holds a real strong groove, and his playing holds together.

19. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I saw Julian Crampton in the summer of 2002 with Down To The Bone. I'm guessing he's also still with Incognito. In either case, yup. Funky.

Peace,

James

20. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    oteil live is the funkiest thang' i have ever heard!!!!!!

:eek: :bassist: