1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modern Fuzz Face Clones/based pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arbitrary, Mar 9, 2008.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I know that a lot of the modern distortion/fuzz pedals are based off the big muff, but which of the current pedals are based off the fuzz face?

How are the schematics of the two circuits different and what does that mean?

Thanks!

2. Z. Vex Fuzz Factory and Woolly Mammoth.

The Z. Vex website may claim otherwise but just compare the schematics for yourself.

3. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    +1 on ZVex. They're both great pedals, but they are just very clever manipulations of the Fuzz Face circuit. I think the Woolly Mammoth is basically silicone instead of germanium for the transistors, and look how crazy THAT thing is.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The best bass-flavored FF clone I've tried was the TecAmp Dream Buzz. Sure, it's overpriced for "just a FF clone", but it sounded perfect. I've tried to build my own bass FF a couple of times and gotten hung up on the right transistors with the right bias. It's a super easy circuit otherwise.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I've heard the Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz is based on the Fuzz Face too, there's a recent thread with bass clips here, although it sounds more like a (very good) distortion to me....

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Remember, Fuzz Face != active basses :D

7. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    ehhh? huh? ermm.....:confused:

What?

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The way a fuzz face is constructed basically connects the collector of the first transistor to the input signal. These transistors need high impedance signals, and sound really horrible with low impedance singnals because they really over-clip in a nasty way.

In short, you need to do something about a fuzz face to make it work with active basses.

9. you can just put an inductor, ie. a transformer, in series with the input of the effect.

I am going to make my friend a wolly mammoth for his active bass :bassist:

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    That's a Jack Orman idea :)

11. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Is "!=" a smiley of a Cylon?

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    It means 'not equals to' in many programming languages...

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Ah, cool. I'd seen "=/=" used in a math or logic context, but not the programming version. However either way I'd certainly hope that a FF is not equal to an active bass. How would I know which one to wear and which one to stomp?

14. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    *imagines Bongo stomping on his bass, playing with a fuzzface on a strap round his neck*

:bag:

15. i have a puuf daddy custom made...

its basicaly a fuzz face germanium ****... ;)
    puff1.

16. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    analogman sun face looks good.

17. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I've used the Analogman Sun Face on bass. It's a cool pedal, but not really my thing on bass.