Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(Modern) German Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Against Will, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    After binging on mindless American garage rock and pummelling my synapses with hip-hop and dub beats for the past 4 weeks or so. I sat down and listened to some Einsturzende Neubauten and Kraftwerk.

It was the aural equivalent of a warm bath and a glass of fine wine after a long, productive day of strenuous grunt work. And so, I raise my glass and tip my hat to Germany, bravo on the fine music that fills the mind and the soul.

-No CAN albums yet, I'm working on it.

2. What type of music are you looking for ?

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Also be sure to check out Kraan (you could call them psychedelic, jazz rock or prog), Hellmut Hattler is one top cat.
    If you have the time, check out Die Sterne, a fairly recent band, some of their stuff is extremely funky and their bass player churns out some bitchin lines on his Fender Mustang, muted pick style. I recommend their album "Posen" and songs such as "Swinging Safari", "Inseln", "Trrrmmer", "Stell die Verbindung her" and "Schnorrvögel".

P.S.: here's a local band you may like, verrry funky. my band played a gig with them once. They're called Testsieger. Click on "lieder" to get hold of their mp3s.

www.plattenmann.com

4. Die Toten Hosen - 90s Alternative rock, they kind of remind me of Faith No More

Wizo - German Pop Punk

But like most european bands that try to get big, both have written some English songs too.

Oh, and it may not count, but Bad Religion redid "Punk Rock Song" in German. IIRC the guy from Die Toten Hosen translated it for them.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Eh? What songs by them have you listened to that sounded like FNM? The 'Hosen have been around since the 80s and last time I checked they were still playing the same generic four-chord pop punk/arena rock with less-than-stellar musicianship. I never liked them much. If you want a German pop punk band that's imaginitive and fun to listen to, I'd advise you to listen to Die Ärzte instead, some of their lyrics are really funny.

6. Sorry, I'm not as affluent with Die Toten Hosen as I should be...I vaguely remember them from the early 90s and I haven't listened to much of their other material. I was going on a vague memory...my bad.

My german sucks, but Die Arzte...that means "The Doctors" in English, correct? I'll check it out.

7. Yep. Here are some german bands that i like :

[​IMG]
    Beatsteaks

amazon
    more to come...

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Die Arzte means indeed The Doctors.

I have a cd by a band called Edelobst (which means something like noble fruit :) ) and I kinda dig them. Hard to describe, very good singer I have to say. Check 'm out!

And then there is RAMMSTEIN :D Industrial Rock/Metal with german lyrics. Love 'm or leave 'm I say :smug:

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'm very sorry, but Falco was Austrian. :D

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Another question, are you only looking for german music, or just quality (european) music in general? If so, I can hook you up with some superb belgian bands! Like

dEUS experimental rock music, some of the best stuff I've ever heard, be sure to check out their first 2 albums.

Evil Superstars great rock 'n' roll

Admiral Freebee singer/songwriter, bluesy rocknroll with echoes of Neil Young

Magnus project by the singer of dEUS and a friend/DJ, funky dance/techno stuff, great!

Hooverphonic: great stuff, very good pop music

Zita Swoon: funky crossover, some experimental stuff, latin, conga's etc, not really my cup of tea, but still...

Novastar : excellent singer songwriter, a bit Lennonesque at times, high quality popmusic

Ozark Henry : unique guy, pop rock stuff with an unique voice, coproduced the latest Novastar album..

cheers

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I wasn't really asking anything. I was more just paying tribute to German electronic/industrial music because I'm on a Kraftwerk/Neubauten kick.

I'm open to any reccommendations people have. Particularly noise/electronic music, and any punk and hardcore are welcome as well. I've been looking into groups such as The Ex, Metal Urbain and Amebix (British, I know). Just for reference of anyone interested in making suggestions.

12. Aw crap.

:D

13. sDg

sDg

Feb 26, 2003
    Wise, Virginia
    Just moved to Germany this past July, so I have just started listening to German music. The first groups I thought of are:

Soehne Mannheims - weird mixture of rap, rasta, jazz and German rock with a dash of every other style you can think of.

Herbert Groenemeyer - piano man who has been writing music for over 20 years. Very creative piano rock (think Randy Newman, not Elton John).

Max Raabe und das Palast Orchester - big band with a sense of humor.

I haven't listened to them yet, but I see Die Aerztin and Boehse Onkels stuff everywhere.

14. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I believe you mean "Die Ärzte", "Die Ärztin" happens to mean "the doctoress". :D

Böhse Onkelz are quite controversal over here, their music and lyrics used to have very strong neonazist tendencies (they claim to be "clean" now, though.) Still, they're pretty popular among rockers, but as far as I know, most music television and radio stations refuse to air their songs.

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Aphex Twin
    Squarepusher
    Autechre
    Boards of Canada
    Venetian Snares

16. pentexlovesme

pentexlovesme

Mar 28, 2004
    Seattle
    If you're into the more Industrial German stuff, check out a the early works by a band called OOMPH! Their first three cds (OOMPH!, Sperm, and Defekt) are all pretty good, industrial/metal records with a fairly good mix of English and German lyrics. The later stuff is really good as well, but they really moved away from the industrial angle and went more into straight up rock...Honestly, they've changed so much its kind of hard to keep track of them!

17. pentexlovesme

pentexlovesme

Mar 28, 2004
    Seattle
    Laibach are Slovakian...but since they sing mostly in German, I guess they could count...cool band though.

18. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I've got a Squarepusher disc and it is interesting stuff. Some great tracks and some stuff I don't really dig. Worth a play.