1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

modern HIWATT?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrew, Apr 17, 2006.

1. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Has anyone here had a chance to try the new Hiwatt 200 or 400 watt heads yet? I'm curious if the tone and quality are still there.
    Thanks, Andrew

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    At the prices they're asking, I doubt too many people have. I mean hell, they're even more expensive than Aguilar!!! :eek:

3. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    I got to use a Reeves Custom 200 (actually a US licensed, British made HiWatt DR201) for a little while last fall. Circuit wise, it's identical to a 70's DR201, only sounds a little tighter and chimier, because it was brand spankin' new with fresh caps, tubes, etc..
    As far as build quality, well it seems like it has become an obsession with these guys. All point to point mil spec wiring, the finest components, tighter braiding and wire angles than the originals even. WAY overbuilt for any use they will likely ever see!
    The best chassis pics are on the Reeves sight; www.reevesamps.com

Very nice but...Big coin for the big amps!

There are rumors of a more reasonably priced Reeves 200-250ish watt dedicated Bass head in the works. If so, chassis #00001 WILL be mine, and I'll post about it. Check the Reeves website for details about if and when.

4. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Thanks for the tip. I contacted Reeves but they said they don't make a 200 watt amp, but might in 2007.

5. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Good things come to those who wait! Keep an eye on their website over the next few months...

6. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Will do! What's the gossip?

7. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I've been using original DR103 100 Custom heads for YEARS now, live, in venues of all sizes up to arenas and larger...
    It's PLENTY loud enough, and I actually prefer the sound of the EL34's to the KT88's in the 200 watt Hiwatts.

It's not hard to find DR103's used for a lot less than the new ones.

8. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    My experience with Reeves is that they are, as they have been from day one, a very exacting and conservative manufacturer, and are only comfortable releasing products that have been R&D'ed to death, beat on hard, R&D'ed to death, tortured some more, and then finally produced built like a Rolex tank.
    The current British HiWatt stuff is, like Dave Reeves' original HiWatt stuff, built to a very high, mil-spec construction standard. The new US built Reeves stuff uses the British standard as the minimum acceptable build quality.
    At a much more reasonable price point!
    Obviously, I'M sold on having, and will have a Reeves/HiWatt amp for bass, but the 200 & 400 watt British stuff costs a fortune in US $ to import at the current exchange rates, and also (I know it's a petty complaint), I like a more compact head (width), because the current 200 watt head looks kinda goofy overhanging most of my bass cabs on the sides, and I'm pretty sure the 200 watt chassis will be designed to fit into the current Reeves 30/50/100 watt box.
    I guess it will have to suffice to say my information (per my insistant prying/begging!), is that the big bass amp project is in the pre-prototype R&D stage, and will progress as quickly as possible as long as it doesn't detract from job one, which is maintaining impeccable quality control while producing the current product line in sufficient numbers to keep up with demand.
    Appearently this takes a lot of time management skills because of the consistantly increasing interest in the Reeves guitar amps.

I figure they will build the 200 watter just to shut me up if nothing else!

9. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I haven't tried the new stuff- and obviously the name has gone through some business transactions over the years, but in my extensive past experience with Hiwatts, I almost feel like they are so good it's unfair. I'd reckon most young players today have no idea about themt or have ever played trhough one. I just think, guitar wise, a Hiwatt makes your average Marhsall head sound like a transistor radio- they are just so ridcuosly powerful. I've seen soundmen go pale during load in when they see Hiwatts.

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...yee hawwww...rip it up for Hi-Watt...

~S~

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    If I ever hit the big time, I'd be all over it - they really do it right.

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You had your chance, old man!!! :spit:;):p

(yes, i'd be all over it too)