Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modern J pickup search

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RedSprites, Feb 1, 2002.

1. RedSprites

RedSprites

Aug 2, 2000
    I have a beloved 1987 Squier Jazz (I think US parts). I like the bridge pu but I would love to have a more modern sounding passive pu for the neck. What I am looking for is the sound like those OLP MM copies that are out right now. I was messing in GC on one the other day and I liked the sound. The OLP had this punchy tone that didn't have a twang to it. My J will wavier for an instant before the growl kicks in.

I am looking at DiMarzios and a few SD pups. I want punchy sustained kind of MM like tone for the neck.

Any suggestions?

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Get an active preamp.

The only true way to get the MM sound is to put an MM pickup in the same MM spot. Active preamp will add punch.

And chances are the Squier is not USA, but maybe Japan, which is better sometimes.

3. RedSprites

RedSprites

Aug 2, 2000
    I bought a Dimarzio Model J for the neck and I am really pleased with it. I changed my strings from taperwounds to regular as well. After I did the set up it sounded great! Not the same timbre as the OLP bass at GC but the same type of punchy quality to each note and there is no hum! I am happy. The slap sounds are very different since I have two different pickups but I am getting used to it.

BTW rojo, My Squier was made in Japan. Some people say that there was a time when they used US parts but I don't care where of who made it. It is a finely crafted piece of wood. I feel lucky to have it. Thanks for replying.

Taters,