1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

(modern) Jazz Bass Clones

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jzucker, Apr 5, 2006.

1. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm looking for a modern version of a fender jazz bass. I'd like a flatter radius than what fender offers, active bart-type pickups, maple neck, rosewood board, but I'd like to stick with alder or ash body. No 10 tops for this instrument. :D

So, I know I'll get every bass in the world listed but maybe a few that I haven't thought of.

I currently own an EBMM Stingray maple (killer funk bass), a warwick Corvette (soon to be sold) and have a hanewinckel 6 on the way...

2. withdevil

withdevil

Apr 23, 2005
    Dallas,TX
    Shaydhowskhee

3. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    Sadowsky will not have Barts, but their pick-ups are rather good. Mike Lull would be a good bet.

4. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    You just described a Sadowsky Metro

www.sadowsky.com

5. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
  6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    What price range are you looking in?

7. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Ideally $1500 or less.

8. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    How is the Suhr jazz bass?

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Pedulla Rapture.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky :bassist: I personely feel they out play the Fenders they were based on , www.sadowsky.com .

11. Consider a Dingwall
    Think jazz bass on steriods. Both vintage and modern tones, and it corrects any issues found on Fender basses: no deadspots, plinky G strings, uneven string tension. Just awesome
    Even comes in 4 different colors w/ different colored pickguards.

[​IMG]
    frank

12. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i don't think I can handle the fanned frets. I like to just be able to bare a finger straight across the neck. It makes it awkward to do harmonics too...

For example, Portraits of Tracy on a fanned fret bass...

13. JZucker-
    Please don't dismiss this bass because youve not played a fanned fret instrument before.
    Believe me the fanned frets are NO problem -its purely a a visual distraction. Infact 7th fret is parallel, and since this is a 34-32" scale instrument, the fanning is minimum. It will take you longer to read this thread than feel comfortable on the bass.

You should have NO issue w/ harmonics, on a SuperJ, they are in the same place as a parallel fret bass, and interestingly the fanning coinsides w/ the angle of your natural wrist curl when you play higher up the neck, its more ergonomic

Yes I can forsee playing Portrait on this bass.
    Believe me the beneifts of the fanned fretboard outweigh those percieved limitations you mentioned.
    here my SuperJ
    fcm_super_j_front_599_314.
    frank

14. Have you tried out a Lakland Skyline? They play amazingly, and you can def. pick one up for the cash you are looking to spend.

BTW, if any of you guys that are suggesting Dingwalls have Dingwall jazz that you want to get rid of for under $1500, let me know, lol.:bag:

15. jzucker

jzucker

Feb 3, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I ended up buying a Suhr Jazz Bass from fellow TB member.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts...

16. Mabis2012

Mabis2012

Mar 25, 2006
    welcome aboard the the good ship Suhr, we will be shortly departing for shredland followed by a cruise round the groove islands, make sure you bring a life jacket, we just about to reach maximum knots:meh:

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Since you are looking for instruments under $1,500, I think your best bet is actual high-end Fender basses. Check out a Victor Bailey, QMT, FMT, or Fender Jazz Deluxe basses, they should give you alot of what you want.

18. txmullet-
    theres one on Ebay right now... a smidge over 1500- okay 1900,
    but used ones will start showing up around 1500

19. I just want to toss this out there... I temporarily owned a fanned-fret five string bass and I will say while the instrument played well, it made chording a little difficult, as well as moving back and forth between my other "standard fret" instruments.

20. Okay- There are a number of players who have no issue going back-n-forth w/ regular parallel fretted instruments.I've been doing it for 4yr. As for Chording I've heard and read from a few that its can be difficult in the higher registers.
    I'll stop w/ the fanned fret speak for now. if you want more info www.dingwallguitars.com/forum/

Now back to the Jazz clone discussion