modern look vs. retro: what strikes your fancy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adept_inept, Feb 11, 2006.

1. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    are you more into the modern looking, highly contoured basses with numerous laminations, or do you prefer the simple elegance of soild/sun burst colors on "slabs of wood"?

me, it's hard to say. recently i've been more pointing towards the "retro", considering i'm looking into some fenders, a g&l, and a rickenbacker... or maybe a valenti.
  2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Retro all the way!
  3. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Depends. I'm a sucker for say, 3TS ash.

Then again, a lot of the trans-finishes and say, green quilted maple are stunning (to me anwyays...)
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm definately a sucker for vintage looks.
  5. steve21

steve21 Banned

I dig modern kinda stuff, but the retro Fender designs and Rickenbackers and stuff will always be close to my heart as well.
  6. Why not modern innovation with classic aesthetic?

7. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    yea. dingwall has captured both. but the price would capture every penny in my bank account. so i gotta pass.
  8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I love them both, so it's hard for me to say which way.
  9. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I guess I'm modern, F Bass, Dingwall AB's and Warwicks. I don't have a dislike for retro, but I seemed to have voted w/ my wallet.
  10. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I mainly dig the retro stuff; but at the same time, i like the "modern" looks on more of the "high-end" basses (Fodera, Roscoe, Dingwall, F Bass, etc.).

I play a bongo though...

All of the basses that I seriously GAS for are straight-up retro though.
  11. indykrap

Nov 6, 2004
    This is actually my current dilemna. I want a more modern fancy wood bass, but I'm also craving an SR5 HH. My friend, a wise man, tells me that the SR5 is way more my style, and that he knows that I always go for the stingrays when I'm in a L&M. I see that, but I've also got the pimped out Fender GL, and want some variety.
    Any advice?
    (sorry about the slight hijack)
  12. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    I like them both but my buying habit say modern
  13. Kroy

Jan 19, 2006
    I have to say Modern for me. I'm drawn toward more nutty body shapes and styles (read: warwick dolphin, Carl Thompson designs, etc.) I have nothing against the vintage looks but I tend toward the slightly crazier/modern slant in my taste for a lot of art.
  14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Modern need for numerous laminations or leds...but I also don't particularly like pickguards, opaque colors, sunbursts, blocks, or the bulky shapes I associate with retro basses. I generally prefer a streamlined, clean, and modern look.

There are exceptions of course (I like Rickenbackers) but generally modern.

15. Nailed it! +1
  16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Rogue has your bass.:hyper:
  17. Its not so much an anti-vintage type thing for me, its much more an anti-fender style thing.

In my guitar(non-bass) days, me and my buds used to argue over Fender vs. Gibson. So its mainly a hold over from that. I was very pro-Gibson on the guitar front. Mainly from seeing so many people get shafted on buying those cheaper stratocasters that still said "Fender" across the headstock

Funny thing is, I'd own a Fender bass before I'd own a Gibson one.
  18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Jazz basses