1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modern Love

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Amidst, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Amidst

Amidst

Apr 29, 2015
    Hey guys,
    Hope you can help, I am doing a bass cover of Modern Love by David Bowie. I can't find tab for it anywhere. Does anybody have anything??
    Brett

2. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    I have "Modern Love" sheet music from one of those piano/vocal/chord books that, at best, are only better than nothing, sometimes. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have the book. I suspect that these books are often transcribed by musicians who have little appreciation for what the bass guitarist actually did for the tune. But- you did ask if anybody has "anything" Send me an email and I will be glad to share if you think it might help. I make no warranty for fitness of use.

3. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    If I weren't submerged in learning too many covers myself, I'd do it for you. I learned that one in my early days. Take your time, it's easy to pick out the notes in that one, compared to many, many, many basslines! You can do it!

thabassmon likes this.
  4. Amidst

Amidst

Apr 29, 2015
    Thanks for that, although I don't think sheet music will help me.....I only picked up a bass 4 months ago. It is my first musical instrument and at 49 it like teaching an old dog new tricks, but I'm trying!
    Reading music, trying to get the finger memory, learning strings and notes is all a bit hard but I'm going to keep going.

5. Amidst

Amidst

Apr 29, 2015
    Getting my ears use to picking up notes is the hard bit, but I guess it will come.

6. tonemachine

tonemachine Banned

Mar 23, 2010
    Chicagoland
    I read your reply to the other guy... I suspected that you might be getting ahead of yourself before because if you already had good enough basic skills to physically execute Modern Love then finding the notes would be very easy for you! Learn the 2 most common major scale fingering patterns 2,4,1 2,4,1,3,4 and 1,2,4, 1,2 4,1,2 and learn the pentatonic scale patterns (Go to the beginner sticky if you don't understand what I just wrote). Play them a bunch (And the other stuff wrottwn about in sticky). Knowledge and ability of those alone will get you a billion miles in pop rock bass- An aside- Modern love is the very first song I learned on drums. The album is pop perfection across the board. Get some more basics first, though.

7. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Songster has a decent tab