Modern music having trouble not sucking

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DrunkenJoker84, Aug 11, 2002.

1. DrunkenJoker84

May 11, 2001
    just an opinion here, but i have honestly not heard a good song come out of a new 'hot' band in years, not since ben folds five or radiohead. anyone else tired of the same old crappy distorted metal sound that comes from every single new age metal band? when will it come back to a good era in music again? sure, im glad that the teenie pop stage is pretty much dead, but this new stuff is not much better. How do these bands get started? how do they think they are different? i recently read an interview with Kings of Crap puddle of mud, and they said all they are trying to do is be "different". well if that's "different", then lets all be the exact same thing, anything to get away from that noise. nickleback and all the new wave "rock" bands, every pop punk group, this is a warning to you! i for one will preach against that ****. who will save us?
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Dude, you need to stop listening to the radio. There is better music out there; you just have to look for it.

Besides, all radio stations care about anymore is money. They could play good music, but they don't. They're all too busy making money off Staind and System of a Down to care about finding something other than a cookie cutter nu metal band to spin.
  3. Lo-end is right. Stop listening to mainstream. My band had its demo launch last night, sure people were coming up to us saying "wow thats something i liked hearing, its fresh, can i buy your cd?". But the bands that supported us, especially One Step Beyond (their cd launch too), were amazing.

I no longer listen to mainstream, nor pay attention to charts and the new stuff. I pay attention to my local gig guide for all the under ground metal bands. Thats where its at.

It is not a case of whats better etc, its a case of the underground bands not having publicity, money, and trying to keep the fans. They play the music they like. If you dont like their music, check out another band.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    New Age metal bands? Did Yanni join Slayer?

Like Homer said, "[your] a Spalding Gray in Rick Dee's world". :D Good Luck! There's good stuff out there, it just takes a minimal amount of effort to find it. Oh yeah, and taste in music is subjective, so your results may not be typical.
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  6. I understand what you guys are saying, but if you listen to bands like Linkin Park and System of a Down, they have actually gone against the trend and created their own sound. A lot of people say they are crap, but you can hear the originality in their music.

Drowning Pool on the other hand........
  7. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    I agree, it's a sad situation.
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    In any flavour of the month genre there are the innovators and the the copyists. I get exposed to a lot of metal and hardcore and you can instantly tell whose original and whose along for the ride. BTW the Police started out as a punk band cos it was fashionable to be so at the time (some things dont change).

As for the turn mainstream radio off comment-absolutely.

The internet is the best resource for finding 'new' music.

This week I are mostly listening to
  9. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    SOAD is n0t very original, theres been bands doing the eXACT same thing (other then their stage antics which you cant hear on an album) for 10 yrs!
  10. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    ok ok i know this is off this threads topic, but ive resisted for wAY to long! Merls! i LOVE your avatar! it makes me laugh EVERY time i seee it! ok ok i just hadda say it

(excuse my lack of punctuation, grammer, spelling etc.. etc.. 8 yrs of IRC will do that to ya)
  11. Yeah, most new music today is totally forgettable. Thats what happens when the suits are in charge and not the artists. There is still a lot of good bands and songs out there, but they arent popular, and so its almost impossible to find out about them. So yeah, todays music scene is screwed. But hey, I dont care because I have about 40 years of music to find my way through. Im never going to listen to all of the good music from the past in my lifetime, so I dont really care if most new stuff is rubbish.
  12. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Good music is out there. It always is, it's just a bit harder to find sometimes. Here are my favourites of the past few years:

Jimmy Eat World (listen to a whole album before writing them off as pop-punk)
    Sigur Ros
    Belle & Sebastian (OK they've been around for a while but always just under the radar)
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If you think there's not any good music, you're not listening hard enough...

and about SOAD's originallity. I have one thing to say:

Faith No More- King for a Day, Fool or a Lifetime.
  14. Sucking is in the ear of the beholder. True, most of what you hear on the radio is flavor-of-the-month, and gets played to death, but there's a little good stuff that finds it's way into heavy rotation. It's nice that you're curious enough to want to explore new territory; the hard part is finding the really good stuff without being able to hear it.

Here's a suggestion: find a local independent record store. Clerks in these places are often a fountain of wisdom when it comes to the odd, offbeat, and obscure of the music world. Hang out for a while, chat with the clerks, listen to what they're putting in their CD player. Ask them what they like; tell them you're looking for something new and different, and see what they suggest. The guys working at my local store are like the cast of "High Fidelity"; they're total record-collector nerds, but they know what's good.

I'm a fiend for buying something I've never heard of when I make a trip to the record store. I mean, what the heck, if it sucks, I'm only out $ 15.00, but most of the time I'm pleasantly surprised. And, like was also suggested here, the internet is a cheap source to search out new stuff as well. Happy hunting.
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Is there someone out there who remembers a time when mainstream radio didn't suck?
  16. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    don't get it...:confused:

crud...don't remember the member or what the link was (or even the threads), but SOMEONE posted a link to a transcript of a BBC program "the merchants of cool." reading that article is enlightening...and frightening. you'll learn exactly why radio sucks.

but something kinda troubled me from that interview: the guy who did all the reasearch and "expose-ing" said that pop-music was "good" (as far as he is concerned, i guess) from the mid-60s (ie beatles) to the early 90s (ie nirvana). maybe radio stations had less control compared to recent days...but didn't pop music (rock, et all) go through lots of periods of "sucking" between then?
    of course, it's all opinion...
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000

You'll be doing yourself a big favor by going to this website.
  18. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    hey man
    well i can say this
    I used to hate the mainstream with a passion....
    Now I just.. look at it.. and shrug it off..
    the only bands i can get into thats close to mainstream(which they aren't) is tool.. and the strokes just because they sound so darn good at trying to sound like the velvet underground. =D
    well I got some stuff you might wanna check out
    Check out Guided by Voices, Husker Du, Pavement ... just stuff like that man..
    Good ol' Rocknroll
    oh yes I got the Guided by voices boxset on vinyl yesterday at a garage sail for 5 bucks...! woot!