Modern music recommendations....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by orville, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Hey, I came to realization that I'm 20 years old and out of touch with modern and "popular" music. I've been calloused by the low-talent material (pop icons, DMB, etc).

Anyway, point being that I was wondering if some people knew some cutting-edge, unique new bands that are worth checking out. I got the new Switchfoot (recommended it) and Teitur Lassen (impulse buy) albums and was not really blown away. I may start listening to Radiohead since my roommate is a huge fan of theirs and I have liked their style.

I usually listen to bands like The Who, Dream Theater, Jaco, U2, etc...

Any recommendations, even if overseas bands, would be appreciated.
  2. Borknagar is my favorite modern metal band. Check 'em out if you're into heavy music. Brutal at times, melodic at others, but always grandiose.
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The Mars Volta

They're like licorice, most people love them or hate them.

Unique none the less.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Ozomatli.....get their first album.
  5. TurboRawker

TurboRawker Guest

Oct 23, 2003
    So. Car.
    I'd say to go with the older Switchfoot cds. New Way to be Human is really good. Ledgend of Chin is a more raw album, but you really need to pay attention to the lyrics to understand it.
    You might look for some stuff by Noise Ratchet, but they are fairly small still.
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Two somewhat related bands outta NYC's downtown scene...
    The Screaming Headless Torsos
    The Hasidic New Wave

...both share the same bassist & guitarist.
  7. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Great group. I saw them on BET Jazz's Live from the Knitting Factory. They were really good.

If you like Dream Theater, you might check out King Crimson's newest album (The Power To Believe). In my opinion, it's the best Crimson album yet, and the best progressive album in the past 5 years.

You might dig Tool. Lateralus is a good album.

Also, don't be calloused by DMB because of what you here on the radio. They are really a talented bunch. I hated them, probably for the same reason as you, then I bought Crash at a used CD store and loved it. I don't listen to them all the time, but they are doing something unique and it has pretty decent songwriting.
  8. Just got back online (have dialup at home). Anyway, thank you for all the recommendations and feel free to keep giving them.
  9. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    This list is helping me out, too. I've just copied down about five band names to check out.
    Thanks yall
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    *points and frames in neon sign*

-The Shins
    -Lightning Bolt
    -Paint it Black(if you're ready for something harder)
    -And I second the Mars Volta as well.