1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modern P/J pups and pre

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tony-bobs, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    I'm putting together a bass for a friend who wants to play heavey metal, something I don't play much of. I'm thinking a good modern sounding set up would work, but I'm not sure what I should go for. Right now, the body is routed for P and J pups, but I could probably widen the J rout for a hb. Any ideas on some good sounding bang for your buck (cheap) active pre's and pups? I looked through the classifieds, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for...

Bobs

2. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    any ideas?

3. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    EMGs. They do an active P-J set, and the 3 band BQC preamp.

Ah, you said cheap... :/

in that case, *slightly* cheaper, Seymour Duncan quarter-pounder SPB-3 / SJB-3 with a aguilar OBP preamp.

it's all there!

http://www.bestbassgear.com/aguilar-preamp.htm

4. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Don't skimp. If you need a good value, get nice pickups up front and wait on a preamp till later. A year or two from now, your friend can get you to drop in a nice preamp if he/she wants.

If money's tight, it'll be better to spend money on the pickups and wait on a preamp. There's nothing wrong with good old passive volume-volume-tone controls.. they'll work with active pickups.

That being said, I'll second SurrenderMonkey's suggestion: The active EMG P-J set will be a great fit for the goal of "modern" and "heavy metal" tone.

The EMG BQC is a great preamp, but there are tons of preamps that would do great things with the EMG PJ pickups. Again, if money is tight, focus on pickups first.

5. Tony-bobs

Tony-bobs

Aug 19, 2008
    Spearfish, SD
    Thanks guys, I guess the pickups would be a good place to start, and like you said, it's not like when I get it finished, i'm sealing up the arc or anything, I can always pop some new things in there if He's not quite happy...