1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modern P sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wolffire99, Apr 25, 2016.

1. wolffire99

wolffire99

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    After a couple recent acquisitions I have two P basses. A 62ri and an 08am std. I want to give the 08 a more distinctive sound than the 62. Something modern that's fat sounding without being too boom-y/bass-y. This will be used mostly for indie/pop style music. No heavy rock or metal.

So far I'm looking at...

Aguilar Hot P
    Spb-2
    Spb-3 (qtr pounder)

Not being very familiar with other P pickups I'd love some more suggestions.

2. Camaro

Camaro

Sep 25, 2013
    Germany, NRW
    Are you willing to go active?

3. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Generally the terms "modern" and "precision bass" are oxymorons, but putting that aside for now, the Seymour Duncan Quarterpounder are a pretty full, dynamic set. People might disagree with me, but I think EMG Geezer Butler pickups have a bright modern tone. I don't have any hands-on experience with the Aguilar Hot P, but the demo I just watched made them sound OK, but still pretty vintage to me.

Bassometer and Frenchy-Lefty like this.
  4. wolffire99

wolffire99

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    Preferably not, but it's not out of the question. I've never had anything routed before, so I don't know how hard/expensive it is to do.

5. wolffire99

wolffire99

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    Maybe modern was a bad description. The 62 nails warm, vintage, classic P. I just want this one to be different sounding for versatility.

6. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    You might look at the Dimarzio Split P?
    Also check out the Lace Aluma P and/or Man'O'War pickups.

7. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. You could try the Cavalier Pickups '57 P-Bass pickup model. I review it here.

8. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Also, probably Delano would be the other brand that I think of when you say "modern sounding" passive pickups, though I've never tried them.

9. NKBassman

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    If "modern" isn't necessarily the goal, then add the Dimarzio Model P to your list. It's affordable and definitely has a different character. Much hotter and gnarly in the mids, especially when played with a pick.

10. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    I don't know if the the SPB-2/3 are more modern sounding, the way I think of a modern bass sounding...but they are hotter, with more mids. More of an 'alternative rock' thing than metal. Certainly fat, and either should work well for indie stuff.

11. wolffire99

wolffire99

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    Thanks. That describes exactly what I want. I love the tone of Scott Devines stock Nate Mendel bass with the SPB-3's. It's steering me in that direction. So fat!

12. ac11367

ac11367

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    Why don't you give the Bill Lawrence P46 a try? The sound it produces are pretty high fidelity and the notes come out very clear. Plus, it's cheap (~$60). For more detail:

Bass Pickups

13. Quarter pounders sound great. Plus they are loud and have balls that you would be troubled to haul in a dump truck. I sold mine because they weren't what I was looking for in a p bass

Zoobiedood likes this.
  14. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Geezers

15. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    leave everything as it is and just buy this:
    FXBPA026_zps265bb073.jpg

trust me, (if you want) I use tone hammer with my Pbass,and others too. flats,rounds, whatever strings or style, this thing add beef and tone I am sure you looking for! give it a try.

Yahboy and pedroims like this.
  16. petey293

petey293

Dec 30, 2013
    Rapid City, SD
    I currently have a Bill Lawrence P46 in a 5 string active PJ and it nails "modern P" when soloed; it has the fatness and grind of the P with a bit more clarity and cleanness. Similar results when I had it in a passive bass.

topcat2069, Roxbororob and Crazy Otto like this.
  17. +1 for the Dimarzio Model P.

It technically is a classic by now but it's not a traditional sounding pickup. It's hot, gnarly and has balls.

I use the Dimarzio Model PJ in my Indie/Pop Rock band.

18. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    For me, a combo of strings and pickups make the difference. I have 2 set up for classic old school being my 62RI with Fralin/TI Flats and a Highway 1 with Tom Brantley's/TI Flats. The Brantley's are a little hotter than the Fralin's and the matte finish just seems more open/resonant. My "rock" Precision is a 2014 AS totally lock stock with Daddario BT rounds and it is great just like it is. More grindy/aggressive, if you will.

19. REV

REV Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2006
    The Aguliar Hot P is also pretty "Modern " sounding.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021