1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modern Player Jaguar - Replacement Truss Rod Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by purplemur, Mar 5, 2016.

1. purplemur

purplemur

Mar 5, 2016
    Hey all,

I recently bought a MP Jag for a really sweet deal off Craigslist. Only issue I've got with it is that the truss rod nut is totally stripped out, and it could use a little adjustment.

My only issue with that is that it is a 5mm nut instead of Fender's usual standard English unit nuts, and I'm having trouble sourcing a replacement. Warmoth sells this one: Truss Rod Nut, 5mm Broached, 3/8" Diameter, 2 5/8" Long but I'm not sure if that one is appropriate. I'd hate to pull that nut out and find out I don't have a correct replacement.

Has anyone replaced one of these before and can verify that the Warmoth one is correct or point me to the right one?

Thank you!

2. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Best of luck. I was shopping for one of these Jaguars and none of the usual online sources had one in stock. The instrument still appears on the Fender website, so I called. They've been discontinued. No idea why.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    That should fit, its the standard import truss rod size.

purplemur likes this.
  4. reddesert

reddesert

Mar 19, 2015
    What are the dimensions of both the hex socket and the rod threading on that nut? It says 5mm - is that the socket? That is, is it a 5mm hex socket that threads onto a M6 x 1mm pitch threaded rod?

5. purplemur

purplemur

Mar 5, 2016
    Well, I don't know the actual dimensions, but I was able to replace the nut. Turns out the rod is a standard diameter and thread pitch, so I was able to replace the 5mm nut with a standard Fender bullet nut. The 5mm was the socket for the allen wrench.

The Warmoth nut should have worked just fine, but it was actually routed out just a shade wider than 5mm. I didn't notice right away and ended up stripping that one out just trying to tighten it up. Plus, the length was over 2x the length of a Fender standard nut, so it stuck out of the access hole in the headstock. Looked really bad and pressed up against the middle two strings. So, I decided to give a standard nut a try.

The standard nut worked just fine, but I found out the real reason the nut was stripped in the first place, the cavity needed a few washers to give the nut room to turn. Threw three #5 metric washers in there and it tightened just fine. Now I've got some great action on my neck and am super happy. :)

6. purplemur

purplemur

Mar 5, 2016
    I think I read something about the factory where they were made shutting down and they never moved the MP production to another facility. It's a decent instrument. I'm going to swap out the jazz pup with a humbucker, and I'm slowly converting all the hardware to solid black (but that's totally cosmetic). Otherwise, I really like the way she plays and she's got some great tone. ;)