1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modern Player Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonners98, Oct 29, 2013.

1. jonners98

jonners98

Apr 23, 2013
    im looking at getting a modern player jazz bass (original 2011 model) and was wondering what anyones thoughts were on it...good or bad?

2. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    I've owned two of the five string versions. I loved them but they had issues. It's an issue that some don't fret about but it annoyed me. Gouging in the top of the fingerboard. As in where the truss rod cover is on other basses. So this may not apply to the 4 string version but the pickups were quieter as single coils. They did what I wanted and sounded good but lost volume. The humbuckers I enjoyed most on them. Possibly because they were the style of pickups I wanted. (I wanted a 5 string jazz bass with 2 open humbuckers, no pickguard and rear routing. Ended up with a 5 string with humbuckers but a pickguard and front routing. Oh well)

As for the 4 string ones I've heard good things about them and played one in a shop once. High mass bridge so it'd be similar to a jazz bass that someone put a leo quan BA bridge on. I've never tried a BA bridge but I like the ones fender put on. I couldn't tell a difference in sound between each setting on the pickups. It was just a small sense that the sound was ever so slightly more tin-e