Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Modern" Rock

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Fuith, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Fuith

Fuith

May 30, 2000
    Does anyone else here agree with me when I say that the new form of rock sucks? I'm 18 and I love all the old rock (e.g. G N' R, Metallica, Black Sabbath, etc. Please feel free to add more bands if applicable). Where did it all go wrong so that we get people like Slipknot and Linkin' Park. Anyone can drop-D tune and play a few notes. The creativity of people like Cliff Burton, Duff McKagan and "Geezer" Butler seems to be gone. What do you think?:mad:

2. Foo Fighters are one of the only (if not only) modern rock band i listen to these days, and they are pretty good IMO...

Yeah...most modern music does suck, we learn to live with it and find better music that aint so mainstream :)

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Yup most new rock(or maybe new metal?) sucks big time. Mainstream = bad at the moment.

4. these two bands are very different.
    i love old stuff like you mentioned (add slayer) but some of the new stuff isn't that bad (godsmack for example :D )
    ...IMO.

5. istaticl

istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    I agree that most new pop-rock sucks and Slipnot too, but some of the less mainstream stuff is pretty good like STP, Radiohead, and Rage type stuff.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...sucks is a complety objective, and subjective term.

7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    There is some good pop rock out there. I think Incubus, STP, and Tool are some of the most popular bands out there today and are also very talented. Theres probably a whole bunch of talented bands that are in the mainstream right now and you just arent thinking of them.

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    theres some exceptions,but yeah most of it is terrible.thats why i listen to more underground stuff.they dont do it for the money.

9. Not all modern rock is bad. Mudvayne, although they're not my style of music, are pretty original IMO. And Slipknot is very talented. Their drummer, at least. Linkin Park, I think they suck also.:D

Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Rage... they're all good bands, I think. Early PJ and AIC are "old modern rock", so I don't know if they'd lie in the new or old category. What about Sublime? How can you say no to them? Or the chili peppers (Shut up Munjibunga:p )?

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

For me, I don't say any particular style or period of music "sucks" because if there is a band that wants to play it and a public that wants to buy it, then the music in question must satisfy at least that audience. And who am I to say that their taste in music is less well cultivated than my own?

Yes, that music may seem like major suckage to me, but if it pleases someone else, then they have the right to enjoy it. I have to cut them slack, because I actually like Kenny G and Boney James, so my own taste in music is often called into question. That is an uncomfortable place to be, so I don't put down the fans of Korn and Limp Bizkit or the Dixie Chicks.

It would be hard for me to argue that Guns N Roses were actually "better" than Limp Bizkit, or that Slaughter was actually "better" than Mudvayne, or Meatloaf was really much better than Creed. No doubt, fans of any of these bands can put forth valid and sincere arguments defending their favorite band over the others.

In the end, it just boils down to taste. Who can really say, in the end, one's taste in music is superior to another's or one's preferences in music are superior to another's preferences? Who would be the ultimate arbiter of musical taste? Each one has to be his own.

11. I thought your argument lost all of its power when you mentioned Guns & Roses. *shudders* :D

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I agree with The artist formerly know as Jason Olested. ;) To say an entire genre of music sucks is assanine, I dont care how much you hate any particular style of music, if you listen hard enough you'll find at least one thing you like in it. Even if its something as simple as a tone.

I myself prefer the older rock, mostly 80's, I think the basslines on lots of it are cheesy, but I admire the guitar lines alot.

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well said Boplicity.

Well, I generally do not like a lot of the newer rock bands that are coming out, there are a few I really enjoy like Static-X, Creed, 3 Doors Down, Incubus, Tool, Matchbox20, Eve6, even some Kid Rock *runs for cover* and as damn unoringal as they are, I really like Puddle of Mudd. I also love all the early to mid 90's grunge, and all the poppy alt. rock like Gin Blossoms and such.

I think the problem is, the record companies are to busy trying to sell an image rather than a musical piece. I believe image is important, but it shouldn't be the primary objective of a record company or band.

14. "Grunge" being the foremost example...how could you actually put Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains in the same category...sure, they (some more than others) sing about depression, but to compare such bands is just, well idiotic. There's only one example needed: Pearl Jam has great solos and a group of talented musicians...nirvana lacked many solos but had a very realistic approach...and they are both marketed as grunge. Yuck.

Now who doesn't remember when flannel became the rage in the early 90's just because seattle bands were wearing it. They wore it because they were cold and didn't have much $$$, and later it became THE fashion...what's so fashionable about a plad flannel shirt?

Luckily, Sub Pop records screwed around with the media and their whole exploitation and marketing became a little inside joke.

whew....breathe...

Back to the original topic, Pearl Jam, STP, Pumpkins, Blind Melon and RHCP are (IMHO) better than any other rock band that has come out in the past 5 years...long live rock...

15. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    quit whinning. i hate country so i dont listen to it. you hate the new modern rock......what should you do? so you dont get to hear you fav bands on the radio much anymore. punk is never on the radio, along with tons of other genres of music. point is if you dont like it dont listen to it. didnt mean to come off harsh.:rolleyes:

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I remember VH-1 having a documentary on the grunge scene and Seattle. I think it was they guy from Screaming Trees who said that when they were starting to market the "grunge look" he couldn't believe it when he opened up the sears catalog and saw a flannel shirt for 90 bucks when they would go buy theirs before it was "cool" for like 5 bucks.

17. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    all this new "image-metal" has destroyed popular radio, IMO :mad: when was the last time you heard something musically challenging and dynamic being played on your fave station? like an intricate death metal song or a full-on jazz fest?
    this state of affairs is sh*t.

18. I don't think the situation is that we should all go outside and commit suicide, sure Nu Metal is the hottest thing today, but it sucks and it will go away. Also consider this point of view, how did the blues guys react when rock and jazz started? Or the pop or prog rock culture when punk cought on? Like the man said, It's evolution baby. The smart survive and we can all agree that Nu Metal ain't that smart.

Things aren't totally in the sh***er though. Until recently we had the Smashing Pumpkins, we still have Muse, which I don't know if anyone here recognises but you should give them a chance. Red hot chilly peppers, Foo fighters, Bob Dylan, U2, Metallica, Manic street preachers and Eric Clapton and many more are still out there. Have they suddenly stopped to matter? Hell no. Not to me. Besides, I don't have to listen to the garbage on the radio. I have my own cd's, tapes and vinil.

19. :confused:
    you do know that objective and subjective are antonyms, right?

anyway, i'm glad that so many others think that the new stuff sucks. i was starting to think i was just getting old, longing for 1994's music again. those were the days.

20. I guess I am less cerebral(sp?) with regards to my music.If it sounds good to me,makes me have a certain feeling,provokes thought...I generally enjoy listening to it.Mind you,listening to the radio while driving in the car is a bit differant than listening to the stereo at home(I pick and choose at home).

Plenty of the newer bands out there are lame and clonerock.I have eclectic tastes in music.I like everything from classical,oldies,motown,jazz,classic rock,`80s,alternative,new/nu-metal....etc.etc.etc.

Some younger TBers have turned me on to some really great indie(right term?) bands: chocking victim,boy sets fire,plan a,anti-flag,muse,hot water music,....I`m sure I have missed many many more.
    "Discovering" "new" music is really fun! :)